WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    Doesn't it feel good to know that it is clean? The satisfaction I get from cleaning it and oiling) lubricating is unreal. You're going to need this video to get the motor off. https://youtu.be/uGub1XiTNR8

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    SOOOOOO gratifying....I must say, this is fun.

I have already ordered a set of chapman hollow ground screwdriver stuff....many before me have hacked up some heads of screws...I have not yet inspected the screw heads for the ones that attach the motor :O
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Have you checked the timing on it yet? The 201's have a rotary shuttle versus an oscillating one. Make sure there are no burrs on the hook and that it is smooth wherever the thread will touch it. Might also be a good idea to take the upper thread tension mechanism totally apart and clean and inspect it. Take pictures at each step as you go along in the dismantling process and refer to them when it comes time to reassemble. Wouldn't worry too much at putting lipstick on the pig so long as the pig works as designed.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    Have you checked the timing on it yet? The 201's have a rotary shuttle versus an oscillating one. Make sure there are no burrs on the hook and that it is smooth wherever the thread will touch it. Might also be a good idea to take the upper thread tension mechanism totally apart and clean and inspect it. Take pictures at each step as you go along in the dismantling process and refer to them when it comes time to reassemble. Wouldn't worry too much at putting lipstick on the pig so long as the pig works as designed.
    I have no plans to place a stitch with this till all is done with my motor overhaul (brushes, wicks, inspect and likely wire replacement) -

Bob in case is horribly dirty so gonna get it taken out and all that spiffy

I have no idea how to check timing yet?

I have no plans to make it look super pretty besides being clean and I’ll do some policing on the plates and likely some acrylic pain on the slitch length plate thingie

Already watched a video showing the thread tension mechanism - plan to take it all apart and clean then put back on - inspect the spring make sure it seems good (externally it seems fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    As a bonus, doing all this should give you a greater understanding of the mechanics of the machine.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    You need this (download and save it)... https://imagespast.files.wordpress.c...ers-manual.pdf

If you don't have the user's manual, that can be found online as well.

From my experience, the "timing is rarely off".

There is normally no need to disassemble any of the internal shafts, gears, etc. as all of the oiling points are accessible from the outside and below.

Dad was a collector and had hundreds of machines at one time. I have about 20 including 201's and 15-91's with potted motors.

FLScouthanger is spot on about insuring the hook is smooth with no burrs from needle strikes. Check the hole in the needle plate for burrs as well.

Don't use the currently sold Singer grease for the grease pots/wicks as the melting point is now too high and it will not wick properly. Use Petroleum Jelly...https://archaicarcane.com/a-search-f...e-replacement/
    Last edited by gmcttr; 11-17-2017 at 17:28.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    This feels like "hobby creep"....im not sure anyone else has used that phrase, but this feels like that sort of thing. Buying a sewing machine for a hobby, and working on the sewing machine for fun, so I can make things for fun for activities I find fun.

At some point the pursuit of making things for camping becomes far more of a focus than the camping itself, lol....not complaining but just thinking about that reality currently.
    It does happen. I have 8 machines (I'm a lightweight compared to some on this forum) that I've picked up various places. It's fun to bring them back to life. The last one was when my wife and I were walking through a goodwill outlet looking for mid-century modern furnishings and she sees a Singer 401a in a bin for $15. I already have a 401a, but how do you pass it up for $15? It felt like they were teasing me a little. The urge has kind of died down now as I'm only watching for a Kenmore with the larger 1.2 amp motor or a treadle machine.
    Bill

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    Someone in my neighborhood stuck an old machine on a wooden table out for the trash and my husband brought it home. I’m not sure what I’m in for now or where I’m going to put it.
    I want that!! Well, not yours, but one like it.
    Bill

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I’m making good progress - have to wait for my proper screw drivers to remove the worm - then I’ll see inside the motor and the state of the wires

The wicks were as hard as a brick - I have new wicks ordered - gonna clean up the bobbin case good tonight

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    You need this (download and save it)... https://imagespast.files.wordpress.c...ers-manual.pdf

If you don't have the user's manual, that can be found online as well.

From my experience, the "timing is rarely off".

There is normally no need to disassemble any of the internal shafts, gears, etc. as all of the oiling points are accessible from the outside and below.

Dad was a collector and had hundreds of machines at one time. I have about 20 including 201's and 15-91's with potted motors.

FLScouthanger is spot on about insuring the hook is smooth with no burrs from needle strikes. Check the hole in the needle plate for burrs as well.

Don't use the currently sold Singer grease for the grease pots/wicks as the melting point is now too high and it will not wick properly. Use Petroleum Jelly...https://archaicarcane.com/a-search-f...e-replacement/
    What do you think of this stuff? I have been using it with success. https://www.novamontgomery.com/shop/...t-x4312153.htm
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    What do you think of this stuff? I have been using it with success. https://www.novamontgomery.com/shop/...t-x4312153.htm
    No idea - I plan on putting singer stuff in there - I’ve read Vaseline is fine too

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast