My first DIY hammock, a brazilian

Well, I finally finished making my first diy hammock. First, I'm glad I didn't know how hard else I might not have tried, but I am already planning changes, improvements, etc., so I guess I am hooked on DIY.
    I have a number of brazilian hammocks, so I built mine just like one of my other hammocks other than the material is different. It is a double layer, jo-ann fabric rip stop nylon (i assume 1.9 oz. but I don't know). I used 7/64" amsteel for my strings on the end but I think lash it would work just fine. The fabric part is 8'6" by 60" with rolled seems. On the ends, I folded the fabric so that it would be 8 layers thick and sewed a channel. Across the channel I cut small holes starting an inch in from the side and about every 2 inches, 30 in all. The holes are only big enough for the amsteel to fit thru. I made a 200" loop from the amsteel that went in the channel and out of each hole I pulled about an 1 1/2" loop thru. I then used about 50 foot of amsteel (lash-it should be strong enough also) for the rope that goes thru the loops. I am a big guy, 300+, and so far it seems to hold just find. I haven't weighed it yet, but it has around 6 yards of 1.9 oz, approx. 150' of 7/64 amsteel which is around 7 ozs, so it should be around 19 oz. I little heavy for lots of you I know, but I'm a big guy and I want my first to hold me for sure. I still have a little tweeking to get the suspension how I want it but it seems to be just about right.
    Since the suspension adjusts because the rope can slide depending on where you put your weight in the hammock, it makes pockets just by the location of your weight. Very comfortable. I have never tried a gathered end or a bridge so I can't compare.
    Things I learned:
    1. This is addicting.
    2. This took a LOT longer than I thought. (about 8-10 hours).
    3. Rip stop is not as soft and comfortable as a cotton hammock.
    4. Rip stop builds up a lot of static electricity.
    I will try and find my camera charger tommorrow and take pics to post.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    no pictures....it doesn't count then.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    no pictures....it doesn't count then.
    Bite your tongue, Gargoyle! Wandering has given us a detailed word-picture. Wandering, you could lighten it substantially by using lighter cords to connect the fabric to your main line. I use 130 lb spectra or 150 lb dacron (kite line), with a piece of utility cord in the fabric channel to strengthen the connection. Kite line wraps around the utility cord twice. However my cords are individual, not a continuous length, and they are adjustable - each is a mini whoopee sling. (Multiply the construction time by 5 or 6! ) Sorry, no pics. Keep up the good work! (Note: I weigh 145 lbs. Adjust your line strength as needed. You may want to use a stronger line at the edge of the hammock because you exert more force there when you first sit in it. Or put a section of shock cord in the edge lines.)

Here are some quick pictures. Thanks WV for the idea of individual chords. I might try that on the next one. I agree I can definitely go with smaller chord; I just started going to see what would happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Okay. Pics do help. Gargoyle, I apologize. There were details that were clearer in the photo. Here is a photo of my hammock string attachments. [IMG][/IMG] The white strings are the 130 lb. spectra cords; the mini-whoopee slings are out of the frame of this picture. The yellow cords (mason's line) help in adjusting the spectra cords, which are wrapped twice around the accessory cord in the tube. The holes in the hammock fabric and grosgrain reinforcement were made with a pencil soldering iron.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Wandering, the mini-whoopee slings aren't essential. You can make a perfectly good adjustable string with a taut-line hitch. It's a good way to start.

Actually, the way i did it, the line that is inside the hammock adjusts itself automaticaly depeding where I put my weight. Well it theory at least, I need to tweek it to slide better. The lines leaving the hammock should all be the same length and not change. That is the way the ones I bought when I was in brazil are. I'm thinking about making the lines leaving the hammocks individual loops, all the same size, that way I am guarenteed they are the same size. A little tweeking, but I think I will figure it out. Can the spectra chord be made into a loop eaisly? Do you tie it or splice it? Do you think it would cut into the amsteel since it would be a smaller diameter? Thanks for the help and ideas

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The spectra cord can be spliced or tied, but it is expensive, and you need a tiny splicing tool. I'd suggest using braided dacron fishing line or any other line that you can get easily and that fits your budget and meets your strength requirements.

• + New Posts