Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I fight this horrible elitist tendency when I hear people talk about the complexity of say a whoopie sling or say the beckett hitch.

I feel calling them "complex" is hyperbole...and while we all have preferences....nearly all of them are deadly simple...and I always feel this judgy tendency to say "really?!". Wait I just let it slip out! Im off the genuflect now.

Seriously though, I am making 3 gift simple gathered end hammocks...on a tight budget for making them....I do not want to buy yet more stuff...so I have included 12 foot tree straps, continuous loops, and instructions on beckett hitch...and a link to dutch site for daisy chain type and carabiners if they decide the beckett hitch is too annoying.

She (the girl from college who we remain friends) is a genetics counselor...surely she can learn the beckett hitch right? lol....either way im broke lol...I feel a tad guilty making her figure out such deep complexity.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I like to fidget with my suspension.

For my tarp, I usually use a CRL with prussic connection to S-biner to tarp. Now I have the tarp and S-biner connected to a short Constrictor Rope connection.

This is a little more complex than the prussic connection which is a just a simple 4-5 wrap loop. So, let's make it more difficult by now running the CRL inside a length of Zing-it. Then we need a small loop to attach the S-biner. Now to keep it tightly constricted, let's make a small 3 wrap prussic and hitch it to the tail of the constrictor rope.

It holds very tightly to slippery Lash-it even when wet, but what a hassle and 4"-5" past the original prussic. I just love it.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    I like to fidget with my suspension.

For my tarp, I usually use a CRL with prussic connection to S-biner to tarp. Now I have the tarp and S-biner connected to a short Constrictor Rope connection.

This is a little more complex than the prussic connection which is a just a simple 4-5 wrap loop. So, let's make it more difficult by now running the CRL inside a length of Zing-it. Then we need a small loop to attach the S-biner. Now to keep it tightly constricted, let's make a small 3 wrap prussic and hitch it to the tail of the constrictor rope.

It holds very tightly to slippery Lash-it even when wet, but what a hassle and 4"-5" past the original prussic. I just love it.
    I'm a little confused, but super interested. Any chance you can share a picture of that setup?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I fight this horrible elitist tendency when I hear people talk about the complexity of say a whoopie sling or say the beckett hitch.

I feel calling them "complex" is hyperbole...and while we all have preferences....nearly all of them are deadly simple...and I always feel this judgy tendency to say "really?!". Wait I just let it slip out! Im off the genuflect now.

Seriously though, I am making 3 gift simple gathered end hammocks...on a tight budget for making them....I do not want to buy yet more stuff...so I have included 12 foot tree straps, continuous loops, and instructions on beckett hitch...and a link to dutch site for daisy chain type and carabiners if they decide the beckett hitch is too annoying.

She (the girl from college who we remain friends) is a genetics counselor...surely she can learn the beckett hitch right? lol....either way im broke lol...I feel a tad guilty making her figure out such deep complexity.
    I don't think you're making a bad decision. Not only should a genetics counselor be able to figure out a beckett hitch, but (in theory), the over/under loop used with the old Hennessy Hammocks was also a dead simple way to do suspension, and is an easy modification from the cheap hammocks that just come with knotted rope suspension. That's my go-to conversion for that kind of hammock.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    I don't think you're making a bad decision. Not only should a genetics counselor be able to figure out a beckett hitch, but (in theory), the over/under loop used with the old Hennessy Hammocks was also a dead simple way to do suspension, and is an easy modification from the cheap hammocks that just come with knotted rope suspension. That's my go-to conversion for that kind of hammock.
    Lets make it easier.......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Shug the Prescient strikes again on hammock forums.
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks, Shug!

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I'm a little confused, but super interested. Any chance you can share a picture of that setup?
    I dusted off my camera yesterday and snapped a couple of pics for you.

Now I just have to figure out how to do this picture transfer thing....

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Here are the mini UCR's I currently have on my tarp:
    The first 2 are on one side of the tarp. The connection is from tarp>S-biner>UCR>loop to tail of UCR>prussic
    IMG_0648.jpg IMG_0667.jpg
    The last pic is the other side of tarp. Shorter connection (without the extra loop).
    IMG_0664.jpg

It extends the distance I need between trees to make the tarp fit, but I like to experiment with different items because I just can't seem to leave well enough alone.

Also, the UCR tarp connection seems to hold the tarp very well without slipping in pretty strong winds with the tarp hanging under the CRL. The key on a UCR is to keep tension on the tail to keep the cord constricted all the way thru the connection.

...I wonder what's the next type of connection I will try next....
    Last edited by Floridahanger; 12-05-2017 at 23:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123