Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    I've seen some cheap hammocks on Amazon, so I'll probably get one there. My main question would be if the bridge hammock is better than a regular one. I just don't see why so many people would go into trouble of making one, if it wasn't better than the regular ones, considering that hammocks aren't expensive. I also plan to make the underquilt from double or triple insultex instead of Climashield, in order to reduce bulk.
    Check out Gazzos Outdoors, someone posted a link to them the other day and I noticed they had some good prices too. I think the ENO doubles were 37 bucks.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    I just don't see why so many people would go into trouble of making one, if it wasn't better than the regular ones, considering that hammocks aren't expensive.
    You just haven't finished your cup of KoolAid yet.

There are a few people (Hi Ewker!) that give us a hard time about over-complicating routine matters. There are also those of us that have, by some standards, too many hammocks. These things are common traits around these parts.

Why would you not build a Bridge if you had the extra material? So you build yourself a Bridge and then think, "I bet it would be better if I.....". The next build brings more ideas and you start thinking about your next build. The cycle continues.

A Bridge hammock is about the only thing I haven't tried to make yet. Don't really know why. Thread Injectors can be just as addictive as hammock hanging once you start down that path. I play with 'something' on my thread injector at least weekly. Unfortunately, I don't have the skills that many here do. So, I don't get to show-off my stuff very often. Point is, folks like to try different hammocks and Bridge hammocks are fairly straightforward in their construction. As gearheads of the first order, it's a common project that allows us to play with a thread injector and have another style hammock in the collection.

Besides, how do we know if we like them until we use one? Lots cheaper to build a Bridge than it is to buy one.
    Trust nobody!

Backpacking hammocks?

I am a long distance backpacker and pay close attention to weight.

My Speer hammock weighs 23oz including ring buckle suspension and stuff sack,35oz with tarp.
    My brothers ENO single nest with Pro straps is considerably more but very comfortable.

One advantage to a long days hike is you can sleep standing on your head.
    I prefer sleeping on my back in my hammock but always put something under my knees.

I've figured one advantage of bridge hammocks, which is that they're only about 8 feet long, while the regular ones can be 10-12 feet. That makes the rain tarp smaller, which is better for backpacking. I'll make me the bridge hammock, since I consider it a survival skill, which is probably why most people do that rather than just buy a cheap commercial hammock.

I want to use 1.9oz ripstop nylon, preferably DWR one. Anyone knows where to find building info, I couldn't find it here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12