Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

First serious Winter hang.

Couple friends and I went on a shake down cruise for my upcoming Adirondacks winter trip. The temps fell to a reported 11 degrees...my personal low prior to that was about 27 degrees. Both hammocks are Claytor Jungle hammocks...one with a diamond stock tarp and the other with Claytors large rectangular tarp. Even though I didn't do it, both ends of the Rec. tarp could have easily being closed.... being a bit claustrophobic....I declined that option.

I had a home made full sized UQ with a Wally world full sized pad with wings for shoulders and knees. I had a Mountain Hardware Zero degree synthetic bag. I wore 300 weight fleece bottoms and thin long john top with a lightweight Patagonia down sweater to bed. I also had a pair of North Face down booties. I can honestly say I was totally warm all night. I slept from about midnight until 9:00 AM.

Both of my buddies complained about cold feet in their -30 degree bags...both only wore socks to bed. Those booties rock! I wore them in the snow for about an hour in the morning and my feet stayed very warm.

I'm glad I went on the shakedown as I now feel very confident I can survive the Adirondacks. My new (to me) Clark NX 250 should arrive in a day or two which will make the upcoming trip even more enjoyable.

Winter camping is great...if you haven't tried it...you should.

Miguel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Sounds like you had a great time. I've been testing things out in the back yard today. Its about 20 deg but the wind is howling. The feet do get cold. I did a search on the North Face down bootie you mention and come up with the North Face NSE Tent Bootie. Is that the kind you have? Also, on your underquilt I wonder how much loft you have on that?

Thanks
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Sounds like you had a great time. I've been testing things out in the back yard today. Its about 20 deg but the wind is howling. The feet do get cold. I did a search on the North Face down bootie you mention and come up with the North Face NSE Tent Bootie. Is that the kind you have? Also, on your underquilt I wonder how much loft you have on that?

Thanks
    I believe the underquilt insulation is 5oz climashield.

Yes...my booties are the NF Tent booties. I highly endorse them.

Miguel

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Thanks for the info. on the booties, will check them out. I use an older design 7.5 oz Climashield XP quilt from Mountain Laural Designs and was trying it today. Compared to a down quilt I have it seems to work better in the wind. Sounds like your 5 oz climashield does a nice job. Nice to be able to try this stuff before your Adirondacks winter trip and hope that goes well for you.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Glad you had fun. I too, went winter camping this weekend (first time in a hammock), and reached a personal record low of 17. Thanks for sharing, hope you like your clark.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
    Glad you had fun. I too, went winter camping this weekend (first time in a hammock), and reached a personal record low of 17. Thanks for sharing, hope you like your clark.
    Did you use your incubator on this trip?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I have to admit...that incubator looks pretty sweet. I always use a pad with my UQ when it gets cold. I'd love to have an UQ that really works into the mid twenties.

I know that mileage varies by user's cold threshold but does that thing really work on it's own in the mid twenties?

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I did use my Incubator. I also used a fin weathershield (I thought it was a sock, but i stood corrected). The UQ wouldnt stay put. It kept hugging to the right side for some reason. Since I didnt have anything at hand to remedy the situation, I used a pad with it. I'm going to try to come up with something in the next few days to try to keep it in place.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I have to admit...that incubator looks pretty sweet. I always use a pad with my UQ when it gets cold. I'd love to have an UQ that really works into the mid twenties.

I know that mileage varies by user's cold threshold but does that thing really work on it's own in the mid twenties?

Miguel
    I can't exactly answer that question. I have a few more test runs to do in the next few weeks, and will let you know if you are seriously interested. What UQ do you currently use?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
    I can't exactly answer that question. I have a few more test runs to do in the next few weeks, and will let you know if you are seriously interested. What UQ do you currently use?
    I currently use a full size homemade UQ with 5oz (I think) climashield. When it's cold I almost always use it with a Thermarest pad. The other night at 11 degrees I used it with a 25" Wally World pad with wings. With a zero degree bag and plenty of clothing....I was toasty for nine hours.

I'd love to be able to go down to the low twenties without adding a pad. BTW...I think I'm a relatively cold sleeper.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Miguel

• + New Posts