WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    Tried it again last night and still couldn't get it right. Had calf pressure but also it got down to 40 degrees and my Hammock Gear 20 degree UQ kept me warm until I had the slightest bit of shift and the uq would "unwrap" from my left shoulder and leave a cold spot. I may just toss too much for a hammock. People that sleep like a "rock" probably have better success than us tossers in a hammock. Now I'm wondering if I should try a Ridgerunner or an XLC? The hammock is really sweet when you get it right but if you don't it sucks.
    IMO, and probably most folks, gathered end hammocks are more " fiddley," both to hang and get the underquilt adjusted. The Wooki is about as close as you can get to a fiddle-free UQ for a gathered end hammock. However, with a Blackbird (either regular or XLC) you still have to get the hang pretty close to perfection to minimize that calf ridge issue.

Now, you mentioned trying a Ridgerunner. If you want the easiest hammock to hang that's it. I've hung it foot end high, foot end level, and probably foot end low and it's just comfy every time. I'd strongly recommend a Ridgerunner-specific underquilt if you want to maximize its ease of use. Warbonnet's Lynx, UGQ's Ambush, Loco Libre's new Ridgereaper, and Arrowhead Equipment's Ridgecreek and Ridgecreek XL (Climashield) are all designed specifically for the Ridgerunner. Never had "shoulder slip" with my Lynx. (You also may not be aware of this, but an UQ designed for the Ridgerunner is about four ounces lighter than a similar temperature rated full-length UQ for a gathered end hammock.). Plus there's zero calf ridge.

Warbonnet has a great "try it and if you don't like it send it back for a full refund" policy. Details are on the Website. If you do get one get the double layer.

Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    IMO, and probably most folks, gathered end hammocks are more " fiddley," both to hang and get the underquilt adjusted. The Wooki is about as close as you can get to a fiddle-free UQ for a gathered end hammock. However, with a Blackbird (either regular or XLC) you still have to get the hang pretty close to perfection to minimize that calf ridge issue.

Now, you mentioned trying a Ridgerunner. If you want the easiest hammock to hang that's it. I've hung it foot end high, foot end level, and probably foot end low and it's just comfy every time. I'd strongly recommend a Ridgerunner-specific underquilt if you want to maximize its ease of use. Warbonnet's Lynx, UGQ's Ambush, Loco Libre's new Ridgereaper, and Arrowhead Equipment's Ridgecreek and Ridgecreek XL (Climashield) are all designed specifically for the Ridgerunner. Never had "shoulder slip" with my Lynx. (You also may not be aware of this, but an UQ designed for the Ridgerunner is about four ounces lighter than a similar temperature rated full-length UQ for a gathered end hammock.). Plus there's zero calf ridge.

Warbonnet has a great "try it and if you don't like it send it back for a full refund" policy. Details are on the Website. If you do get one get the double layer.

Good luck!
    Great info. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles
    What length tarp is recommended for the ridgerunner? I have an 11' hammock gear cuben with doors

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    What length tarp is recommended for the ridgerunner? I have an 11' hammock gear cuben with doors
    The hammock gear 11' CF should work fine if you add some pullouts that approximate where the bars are located. This helps protect the tarp from possible damage from the bars as the wind blows or you exit/enter the hammock. If you get a HG winter palace one of the options is for bridge hammocks for specifically that reason, or at least it was when I had a WBRR and purchased a WP (that now is my DH Raven tarp).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/R.R.
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom/13ft WD
    Insulation
    UGQ RENEGADE/ZEPP
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images

Big !!! I have a 12ft and a 13 for it .

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    In my opinion, calf pressure and cold bottom are THE big issues in any gathered end hammock. It almost made me give up on using a hammock at all. Then I just started using an inflatable pad (Exped downmat or NeoAir Xtherm). I hold it in place with a small pad sleeve velcroed into the footend. That solved both issues 100%. It doesn't matter how bad your set-up is, there will be no calf pressure with an inflatable pad. Now I try to use a hammock exclusively unless Google Earth shows there are no trees where I am planning to camp.

Images
    I'd like to add...hang the foot end 12-16" higher than the head end...so that you can sleep with your head alot closer to the head end, this is what fixes it, raising the foot end just keeps you from having to lay on an incline, laying with head alot closer to head end is what actually solves the issue. your eyes should be basicaly even with the farthest side tieout...so one at about eye level and another near your shoulder.

Hammock
    WB Black Bird XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie/HG Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    +1 on what warbonnetguy said. Also, I find that moving my butt a little bit to the left helps a lot. I do have an XLC and that may be a factor. As far as the tarp, an 11' tarp will work with an 11' hammock because the ridgeline is around 9'. 11' is the length of the material.

Both of my tarps for the XLC are 11'.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, WBRR, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF / CB
    Insulation
    HG UQ's LL+HG TQ's
    Suspension
    CB's/TurtleTies

Calf pressure

WBBXLC
    I set the foot end approximately 6” to 12” above head end. Straps at a 30 degree angle. While in the hammock the ridge line is loose. I can turn approximately 2.5” to 3” of the ridge line vertical with no tension in the line. No calf ridge. Good luck!
    "When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power. The world will know peace." ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No matter where you go, there you are." ~ Buckaroo Banzai

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123