Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Pretty soon they would have me every weekend.
    ...and what would be so bad about having an excuse to go camping every weekend?

The standard joke here (and I have the crest to prove it) is "It's only ONE hour a week..." What is left unsaid is "...per youth".

Actually the cubs only camp about 4 times per year. The scouts are out more frequently, maybe 8-10 weekends and couple of 4+ day canoe trips.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rs_dad View Post
    ...and what would be so bad about having an excuse to go camping every weekend?

The standard joke here (and I have the crest to prove it) is "It's only ONE hour a week..." What is left unsaid is "...per youth".

Actually the cubs only camp about 4 times per year. The scouts are out more frequently, maybe 8-10 weekends and couple of 4+ day canoe trips.
    I thought about joining and helping with the backpacking. I think a trip a month or so wouldn't be bad.

Your joke sounds true of everything. I used to coach rowing, that took up a ton of time outside of practice. I can see scouts doing the same thing. Groups like this are only as good as the leaders and the core group of kids wants it to be.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I went on a two day camp out with my son's scout troop about a month ago. At that time I slept on the ground. It was actually that camp out that go me searching for alternative shelters and ultimately into a hammock. I can't wait to go on the next scout camp out as my son and I will now bring our hammocks.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    yeah, a small, canvas, pup tent that became a bath tub when it rained
    I remember those.......used them for 4 years in the Marines.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    hammock engineer... you could volunteer w/ an understanding that you will be limited from full time service, but would like to share in your realm of interest & experience, backpacking.
    of course your preferred method of shelter is by far the hammock & tarp
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    hammock engineer... you could volunteer w/ an understanding that you will be limited from full time service, but would like to share in your realm of interest & experience, backpacking.
    of course your preferred method of shelter is by far the hammock & tarp
    Thanks, that is about what I was thinking. If only for a few trips a year and a meeting or so a month it would be worth it to show them that there are other options out there. They have a good support stucture for long distance trips. I always wanted to go to their Florida Sea Base suba diving.

In one of my phone calls to OWF, the lady said that one of their customers was a scout leader teachig all of his scouts how to make their own gear. Thought that was a step in the right direction.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I was a Scoutmaster for 7 years (am still a troop committee member) and I am now the coordinator for outdoor adult leader training for the Council. I have been preaching the gospel according to Hammock for the past 4 years, always camping in my hammock at training events (all year round), doing demonstrations at Roundtables, visiting troop meetings to discuss hammock camping, and have loaned my spare hammocks out to dozens of people. In fact, DIY hammocks have become popular enough where we compete with each other for getting to the $1/yard ripstop at the local Wally Worlds.

We're blessed with lots of trees here in Upstate NY, so locally at least, hammock camping has caught on slowly but steadily. Tonight, in fact, I am off to be on staff for a week-long session of NYLT (National Youth Leader Training), the advanced leadership skills training for Boy Scout youth leaders. I know I will be the only staffer in a hammock, but I am sure that I'll get a lot of curious Scouts and a few adults (the training is all done by the boys). I am looking forward to it.

Philmont, the BSA high-adventure trek program in Cimmaron NM, has a policy against tying anything to trees, so hammock camping while on trek is strictly forbidden. There's enough talk locally about hammock camping where people are lamenting that rule, but that's a good thing - there are no such rules (that I am aware of) anywhere on NY State land where camping (and trees) are plentiful.

I regularly cite this forum as a great place to go to learn more about hammock camping, so THANK YOU to all who support and share their ideas on this forum.

Dave (Jonas)

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas4321 View Post
    I was a Scoutmaster for 7 years (am still a troop committee member) and I am now the coordinator for outdoor adult leader training for the Council. I have been preaching the gospel according to Hammock for the past 4 years,.......
    Dave (Jonas)
    Have a question for you. I work with scouts here in NC. I have not run into any opposition except when it pertains to the "buddy sytem" and Scouts sleeping in tents of two. How are you overcoming that part. Would love to know.

Other than that... My son and i and a few others are really peaking interest. Last leadership training we only had about 4 hangers. Now we have quite a few more.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I spent a week sleeping in my HH at Scout Summer Camp a few weeks ago. Best sleeping at camp I've ever had. We had a terrible storm one afternoon and I was the only one that had a completely dry bed. Well except for the other leader that was using one of my DIY Risk Z hammocks. Of course, now I have to make one for him. I have converted a few of the adult to hammocks over the last half year and one scout so far is interested. We did have one scout last year that used a hammock some.

I have even hammocked in 18 degree weather in North Florida this past February.

The only problem with preaching the virtues of hammocks to the masses is that there is greater competition for suitable hanging trees in a given area.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    ....The only problem with preaching the virtues of hammocks to the masses is that there is greater competition for suitable hanging trees in a given area.
    Maybe we ought to start telling everyone that hammocking is no fun.......

Signed...Selfish! LOL

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast