Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images

hangin in the blizzard.

i hung last night! i just got my BB and HAD to try it. i actually set it up thur but couldn't get out so i left it up for fri and BLIZZARD OF 2010.

i used the maccat deluxe and it worked like a charm. i just gave it a couple slaps from in the hammock as i woke through the night and the snow just fell right off. i used a fairly steep pitch. the snow did start to pull the sides some but 21 inches in about 12 hrs will do that.

it got to about 27 to 30 deg. so i used my golite 20 deg. quilt. it is an easy 20 deg. quilt. i am an average sleeper for cold. for bottom insulation i usemy 15 yds of insultex to lay on. i know, i know (what the hell did he use 15 yds for!?) well, thats what i have and i haven't gotten to making my UQ yet and i wasn't about to make any cuts until i know exactly what i want to do. the IX was probably 10 or 12 layers.

i had on lightweight fleece long johns, under armor knock off shirt, lightweight fleece shirt, neck gaiter, beanie, warm wool blend socks and my house slippers( usually get cold feet).

i was warm enough but i'm convinced after my experience and reading some other's with IX that it is needed to not be compressed. my back was a little cold and it does cause some sweating which i think in turn made my back a little cold. the cold back and butt was only a little. nothing i couldn't deal with but i think 4 or 5 layers as an UQ would have actually been warmer.

all in all it was a fun experience and it was cool to do a little pushing the limits of my gear. i got 2 nights this year so far outside and hopefully way more ahead. my wife is sometimes smarter than me as she reminded me of the possibility of all the weight of the snow bringing down branches on me, but i throw caution to the wind! danger is my middle name! the BB was great. i need to do more hangs to get it down to a science but i'm liking it.

i'll get some pics hopefully soon. happy hangin!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ref103; 02-08-2010 at 20:05. Reason: pictures added

• + New Posts