Thread: new york hang

Hammock
    Hennessy ExPed w/ 2QZQ Mod3
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    OneTigris 4 season
    Quote Originally Posted by KrackerJax View Post
    I live in Syracuse and it sucks to find a good hang spot locally.
    Not too far from Syracuse. I've camped here a lot over the years.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/37115.html

Ordin
    " They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst..."

Hammock
    Hardline 11ft
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    JacksrBetter
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I’ve yet to hear of a NY group hang. I solo/stealth all around Harriman simply because it’s close and easy. I would up for something..

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk
    Last year a few of us met up at the finger lakes and hiked the Interloken trail. But other then that , it is very quiet around here, the OHIO Crew does one every month!!!!!

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    Dozens of state forests within 50 miles of Syracuse and many more scattered around the state. There might be formal campgrounds or designated camping areas in some but almost all allow free, primitive camping. The rules are pretty simple: camp 150 feet from a road, trail or water, more than 3 nights or groups of 10 or more require a (free) permit. Leave your chainsaws home; cutting standing trees is not permitted. Hardly too many rules to my thinking.

I'd call the ranger in charge of the area where the forest you are interested in holding a group hang is located and explain what you want to do. He or she might suggest a suitable, convenient location where one can drive into or at least near, especially in winter.

There are far more hanging opportunities on State lands in NY than here in PA where so much state land is set aside for hunters and camping is prohibited. I got spoiled spending most of my life camping in the Adirondacks. Since moving to PA, I'm starting to explore the smaller NY forests near the PA border. I did a short overnight last weekend in the Arctic-China State Forest, out and back on a portion of the Finger Lakes Trail. Passed a nice lean-to short ways in and once I got over the ridge, the vehicle sounds of NY Rt 8 disappeared. A pack of coyotes sang me to sleep. The point here being that in smaller state forests in NY, you can have a quiet, backwoods experience, perhaps even more so than on the heavily trafficked trails in the Adirondack High Peaks.

Wayne

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KrackerJax View Post
    too many regulations in NY it seems and lack of forests in the CNY area. unless we use someone's private land like the guy said above. which exit 39 on the thruway isn't that 690? Or am I mistaken. I live in syracuse and it sucks to find a good hang spot locally.
    That is exactly right. I am about 15 miles up from that exit. On a back road. My property is 500' from the road. It drops downhill from there, so even out in the few tress in the open field are quite private. Lots of sugar maple in the 1.5 acres of woods.

If you guy's are serious about putting together a hang I will gladly support it. I also work for a major food distribution warehouse and get all food at cost. I can provide breakfasts for sure free of charge. If we want to put together a dinner, I can divide the cost by the number attending.( steak,chicken,pork,fish,vegetables, we have it all)

Also I'd like to promote handicap access hanging. You can park a vehicle any where on my property so getting to your camp area would be simple. It's sand, covered by thick green grass. I can park my tractor trailer on it after a pouring rain with no ruts!!

I like to canoe and there are some great spots to canoe into and set up a camp. There is also 250 acres of state land right at the end of my road. I'm still looking for a legal access to that as it's semi land locked by property owners, unless you canoe in from Ox Creek!!

I'd like to stress that I am happy to share my land that just sits there not being used. If anyone wants to solo camp, that's okay too. All you have to do is shoot me a PM with day/weekend/week. I just need to show you around a little as per property lines and such.

Morgan Hill is great. I'm in for whatever gets established. Looking forward to this summer.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/R.R.
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom/13ft WD
    Insulation
    UGQ RENEGADE/ZEPP
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    That is exactly right. I am about 15 miles up from that exit. On a back road. My property is 500' from the road. It drops downhill from there, so even out in the few tress in the open field are quite private. Lots of sugar maple in the 1.5 acres of woods.

If you guy's are serious about putting together a hang I will gladly support it. I also work for a major food distribution warehouse and get all food at cost. I can provide breakfasts for sure free of charge. If we want to put together a dinner, I can divide the cost by the number attending.( steak,chicken,pork,fish,vegetables, we have it all)

Also I'd like to promote handicap access hanging. You can park a vehicle any where on my property so getting to your camp area would be simple. It's sand, covered by thick green grass. I can park my tractor trailer on it after a pouring rain with no ruts!!

I like to canoe and there are some great spots to canoe into and set up a camp. There is also 250 acres of state land right at the end of my road. I'm still looking for a legal access to that as it's semi land locked by property owners, unless you canoe in from Ox Creek!!

I'd like to stress that I am happy to share my land that just sits there not being used. If anyone wants to solo camp, that's okay too. All you have to do is shoot me a PM with day/weekend/week. I just need to show you around a little as per property lines and such.

Morgan Hill is great. I'm in for whatever gets established. Looking forward to this summer.

This sounds amazing " and no problem with any rangers . I can not bring wood from my property being from jersey but I can bring two chainsaws and a 4x4 truck with 8 foot bed if that helps .

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Nope, you're welcome too. I have been cutting any dead fall and stacking it up between the trees. I have two stacks. Can't find a picture now.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilts
    Suspension
    All of Them

new york hang

I'll shoot you a message Friday maybe we can plan something for me to swing by and check out the land next week. I have Monday and Friday off.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Excellent.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    The Interloken hike was fun. XJ's offer is very attractive.

For the Adirondacks there is the Adirondack Loj 'wilderness' campground. Reservable Lean-To's, tent sites, access to indoor plumbing and water. All a short walk (or not) from your car. Plus it is in the center of the high peaks region so if you wish to hike and primitive camp at tent sites and public (unreservable) lean tos you can go that route too. We hammock camp in the ADK's a few times a year and in the winter months appreciate the safety options this place provides (as opposed to hiking far in). Since the lean-to is reserved, we hang right in it - makes a nice wind break.

I mention this 'cause I am lazy, I will end up there one way or another this winter. Can't compete with the hospitality in XJ25S's offer though.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Just throwing this out there. Not knowing where you all are from but there is a a winter Hang happening in western mass. at the end of January. There is a post in the trip planning with the details. Check it out. There is plenty of space and a good time had by all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast