Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps

Underquilt fit problems

Now that the weather here in Minnesota has dropped, I've been able to really try out my Incubator Econ 20 on my Chameleon. It works really well, though I've noticed that when I move to my side, the fabric of the hammock makes odd angles, and causes the quilt not to sit snugly against the hammock.

This is largely due to the diagonal at which we lay in gathered end hammocks, I think. It doesn't seem like the underquilt with its suspension can quite conform to the angles on the hammock (there are some concave curves in the hammock, from the perspective of the underquilt, if that makes sense). Others don't seem to have this problem. Am I missing something?

I'm also noticing that I have a small ridge that runs from the crook of my knee...it seems to be about an inch tall. It's not a calf ridge, per se, but a bit like one. I think this is allowing cold air in.

Once again, I have to ask if I'm missing something obvious. Or better yet, perhaps I'm missing some not-so-obvious, esoteric Way-of-the-Initiated that some of you would love to impart to me.

(I tried searching the forum and the internet at large, but couldn't find much. Either there's not much discussion about this out there, or my Google-fu is degrading as I age. Either way, help is deeply appreciated.)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Could have the UQ ends cinched to tightly. Can cause gaps and ill fit.
    I offer some UQ intel.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL

Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Also helps if you can have somebody check it out while you lay in it or vice verse. Or if you have a mannequin available that may work.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Thanks for the tips. I watched Shug's video (for the second time, actually, but gleaned more than I did the first time). Also found a mannequin on Craigslist (actually just asked my wife nicely) so I could figure out what's going on.

When I laid in the hammock, my wife said there were no gaps compared to when I had her check previously (indeed—the ends had been cinched pretty tightly).

When she laid in the hammock, I noticed there was a gap along much of the foot end. There's a ridge where the hammock comes down to her upper leg and the crook of her knee. I've observed this when I lay in it too. No matter what I tried with the underquilt suspension, I could not close this gap. I managed to get a couple pictures with my phone.

You can see it from the outside a bit, but the baffle gets in the way (which is undoubtedly a good thing).
    IMG_4045.jpg

I had to pull the end down a bit to get the flash to illuminate next picture, but one can clearly see where the gap remains. Anything to worry about?
    IMG_3471.jpg
    Last edited by Malcolm; 11-25-2017 at 23:15.

Is it just a fit problem or are you also getting cold spots when you test it out?

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pithecanthropus View Post
    Is it just a fit problem or are you also getting cold spots when you test it out?
    Heh, that's a good question. I guess I'm not really quite sure yet. I haven't been able to test truly cold temperatures since I corrected a couple other problems with the foot end; but down around 35F wearing shorts, I didn't notice cold spots. I've assumed it will be a problem, but I should get another chance to try it out in actually-cold weather before the end of the year.

35F is still pretty cold for human beings, so I think you may be good, but keep testing it out to make sure. If you can help, don't take my word for it. With that said, I first tested my 10 degree Phoenix UQ in 45 degree weather and I definitely noticed the cold spots right away. It wasn't until I finally learned how to dial it in that I got it to work, and I'm definitely sure it doesn't 100% conform to my lay in the hammock, but as long as the air is trapped it's all good to me.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pithecanthropus View Post
    35F is still pretty cold for human beings, so I think you may be good, but keep testing it out to make sure. If you can help, don't take my word for it. With that said, I first tested my 10 degree Phoenix UQ in 45 degree weather and I definitely noticed the cold spots right away. It wasn't until I finally learned how to dial it in that I got it to work, and I'm definitely sure it doesn't 100% conform to my lay in the hammock, but as long as the air is trapped it's all good to me.
    Thanks! You've given me some peace of mind. And you've given me a good reason to spend some more nights outside in the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I always like to mention the primary suspension. Get it tight! I struggled with this for a while before realizing it was the primary suspension. The fact that HG make them geared towards 11' hammocks may have been my problem since I use a 10'. After tying a knot in the cord to shorten it, problem solved. I think that's why my original 20° Incubator from ~2012 was so good; never a problem and it had a much shorter suspension. It should lift the hammock up when you're not in it. It will look weird and probably "wrong"...that's a good thing.

Now that I may be switching to a 11' for good, I took the knot out since it's unnecessarily tight. I know it's set right when I get in and immediately feel heat, almost like someone is blowing a hair dryer on me. At least when testing indoors.

The other thing that I screwed up off and on for years were the cinch cords on the end. I had them too tight which simply lets the air rush right in.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I always like to mention the primary suspension. Get it tight! I struggled with this for a while before realizing it was the primary suspension. The fact that HG make them geared towards 11' hammocks may have been my problem since I use a 10'. After tying a knot in the cord to shorten it, problem solved. I think that's why my original 20° Incubator from ~2012 was so good; never a problem and it had a much shorter suspension. It should lift the hammock up when you're not in it. It will look weird and probably "wrong"...that's a good thing.

Now that I may be switching to a 11' for good, I took the knot out since it's unnecessarily tight. I know it's set right when I get in and immediately feel heat, almost like someone is blowing a hair dryer on me. At least when testing indoors.

The other thing that I screwed up off and on for years were the cinch cords on the end. I had them too tight which simply lets the air rush right in.
    I have a 10'...trying this next. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast