Lightweight rig for travel

I will be going backpacking (travel) around the world and want a lightweight yet durable setup for the times I want to go hiking and maybe save on accommodation.

Currently have a Hennessy hyperlite hammock with ring buckle suspension. It's a good hammock but there are some slight durability issues with it. When i was getting into it once there was small tearing and now there is a bit of separation starting. This wasn't from much use either, so for long term its not something I want to deal with.

What's a good alternative? I want something that's still fairly light and with an attached/removable bug net, and diagonal lay. Something that's durable is good too so I can use it more when I'm in the jungle without worrying about it. For suspension I was thinking of going with whoopie slings this time, as it seems to be the lightest and most compact option.

What would be a good tarp? The superfly is nice and versatile, but may be too big and bulky in the long run. (will have to check how much room i have in the pack first) Maybe something like a Minifly would be better? On the other hand, I could maybe close up the superfly in the cold temperatures, and save some weight on the quilts.

What's the best option for the quilts? Trying to decide if I want to go for 2 or 3 season. I don't really know what I will encounter, so I want to be prepared. Eventually I will be in the tropics, so for a time this won't get any use at all.

Also, is it safe to keep everything (quilts and hammock/tarp) in a compression sack for a long time to save bulk? I know it's not good for down, so I need advise on how to best deal with this :/

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow, that's a lot of questions
    Durable and Light are both relative terms but I'd recommend a single layer hammock like the single layer hammock like the Warbonnet XLC, Dutch Chameleon, SimplyLightDesigns Trail Lair. There are other well made light hammocks but these have been proven to be light and durable over the years. The bug nets are either removable or roll to the side.

Tarps, coverage is key on a tarp and the conditions you will be hanging in but If I were buying a light tarp I'd try either the new Minifly or Thunderfly tarp from Warbonnet. They are light and unique with the mini doors on the ends for foul weather coverage.

Quilts, If you know you will be hanging a substantial amount then I recommend a good down 3 season set as you can always vent to get cooler but you can't make the quilt warmer. The Hammock Gear Econ line is a very affordable and well reviewed quilt. It's always better not to keep quilts compressed so you can uncompress them when you are in a hotel for extended periods.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    If Max Mishkin (Bear bag) is a member here he could probably give you some good advice.

I caught him on an old podcast last night.

http://www.mishkinphoto.com/stories-thru-the-lens-blog

Last edited by Vanhalo; 11-30-2017 at 11:48.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images
    Try the 90 degree hammock from Hammock tent. It's crazy light and packs very small.

Check out our Youtube page for some fun hammock videos https://www.youtube.com/c/LloydLiving

• + New Posts