Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    In your backyard. You didn't even see me did you? Marpat tarp. lol
    Kidding aside. I can think of at least 3.

I have a State Park a mile from my house that closes at dusk. I ride my bike there, so no car in the lot and set up for the night. No campfire, just alcohol stove. Sometimes I'll use my Solo stove like a little campfire.

I also have stealth camped on Strawberry Island in the Niagara River. That one you need to be a bit more stealthy because the Coast Guard is always patrolling near by. I just have to make sure to pull my kayak all the way off the beach.

I've also stealth camped on a small island in the Myakka River. No signs where posted but I still kept it on the down low.

There is another island called Navy island in the Niagara that looks good for camping. I don't think I'll be trying that one though as it is Canadian and I'm sure the authorities would have a grand ole time.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

All over the AT. I had to get creative a few times with iffy tree options. A few times we stealthed on the outside or just inside of a town so we didn’t have to pay for a hotel.

The classiest was behind Toy Makers Cafe in....Connecticut, I think.

They let hikers camp there but hammock options were iffy. I pitched in a thicket next to a compost pile. My guy lined all had slugs on them the next morning but I didn’t care. We’d had pizza delivered to us that night and bought beer next door. Twas glorious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I always look for places where it looks natural to see someone go in and come out, researched on Google maps ahead of time. usually this means a public but unofficial trail, where people jog or walk their dogs. Then once on the trail, I look for a place off the trail where I can hang that offers good cover from people on the trail. After the trees loose their leaves, this is much more difficult. i test it before I set up by putting up something obvious on the trees I plan to use, for me this is my safety green reflective safety vest, then sneak back out to the trail and do a walk-by. I've found that a lot of times at the site, when I think I shouldn't be visible, I actually am when I do the walk-by. If it seems good with the vest, then I put up the tarp and test again, just to be sure, because sometimes, even if the trees are hidden, the sharp lines of the tarp stand right out, even if it's a camo tarp.

I've ducked off the road at night before, and woken up to clearly see the windows of the back side of a house that I hadn't realized was there because the lights were off, and the front access was via a different road that curves around. and the trees I was in were between the road I was on and their back yard. I usually try not to set up at night since then.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

I don't think mine is nearly as shady or questionable as the ones mentioned here but I have only stealth camped once. A couple months ago, I set up camp somewhere between Andy Creek Campsite and Jackson Creek Pond Campsite, on Rosebush Ridge on the SHT.

This was actually my favorite site of the entire week. I was about 100' off the trail, pretty much invisible from hikers.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Lots of these stories sound like they're out of necessity, or close to it. Or places not very "important". I'm cool with that. Otherwise I always advise playing by the rules as to not ruin it for everyone. If people were doing research before hand knowing they were going to sneak into a property where camping is prohibited, no good.

Hammock
    HH
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    Well, I've got a spot of woodland on NCC property that I day camp in quite often. I'm off a bike path about 50 or 60 feet into the bush and now I do the odd over-niter there sometimes too. I bring one form or another, of a pocket stove, to heat up some hot chocolate before turning in. Great little hideaway. lb

StealthCamp.jpg
    LarryBourgeois - Outdoorsy Guy

http://larrybourgeois.blogspot.ca/

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    We hang in this little patch of woods at my dad's place in Owl's Head, ME. It's a perfect little copse of trees for hanging and if it was just my green and camo hammock, you wouldn't even see me there. My daughter's light blue tarp and my wife's purple tarp stand out a bit though although I am not sure anyone noticed last August. Summer renters are in the house next door and probably never saw us. The skunk and raccoon were a little confused though!!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nowhere yet. I have often traveled and thought about rest areas in trees, rather than uncomfortably in my car.

A college by me has a mountaintop campus. I used to trail run there and once saw a tent. It is lightly used and I know it well, so I have often thought of sleeping there. Lots of deer that would probably startle me.

There is a long distance rail trail by me and when complete, I thought it would be cool to do big miles with a lightweight setup. I would have to setup at dark and wake before dawn to pull it off.

A lot of the places I think about would be cool in winter, although I would leave footprints.

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    I enjoyed reading all the responses to this thread! I've never "stealth Hammocked" anywhere and don't know if I'd want to hang somewhere I'm not supposed to; but rock on to all those who do!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast