Finally off the ground?

Hey everyone.... glad to have found this forum.... been spending the last few days reading posts. Lots of modifiers here.. I like that since i cant ever seem to leave anything UN modified

so i've had my HH explorer for a couple of years now and have suffered the numb bum.... got around that with a big agnes sleeping bag and isulated air core mattress (fits in the bag) I dont have an undercover or SS at this moment.

I'm not into hiking but i do canoe camping and dual sport motorcycle camping..... which both still follow the light is right philosphy.
    I love getting off the ground....especially when we go canoe camping in the swamp (where the thorns have destroyed every air mattress) or dual sport camping in the woods where there just isnt any flat level ground

I love sleeping in the hammock!

however...... there was one thing that i didnt have an answer for until (hopefully) now... the slight claustrophobic-ness i experience at different times... mostly when i have the rain fly pulled down tight. I stumbled across the 2Q & ZQ zipper mod (and this website) in a hammock thread on ADV rider and as of this past thursday my hammock is on the way for a mod#2 right modification. I am hoping this mod will help me get my mind right for sleeping inside the hammock as i find it to be the most comfortable sleep i have ever had outdoors.....actually i never seem to have any problem going to sleep but sometimes i wake up and really feel a strong desire to get out of the hammock.. like i cant breath or something. I am hoping with this zipper mod i will be able to just swing the bug netting out of the way during those moments and everything will be all good. Or if it just doesnt bother me anymore because i "know" the zippers are there as i read happened for one fella.

for the reasonable amount of money to do the mod i figure it couldnt hurt to try it..

i now have a larger rain fly (kelty noahs tarp) to give me better rain coverage without having the fly right on the netting and since i now have an un used rain fly was wondering if anyone had ever converted the stock rain fly into an undercover?

One thing i do know for sure is that i will exhaust every option before giving in and going back to ground again.

I noticed there are a few people from NC that are active here i might have to come check out one of your hangs.

thanks for the great forum i look forward to picking everyone's brain while i fine tune my rig.

Frank

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome Racerman. Hope you get the claustrophobia cleared up, or what ever it is. Hangin is such a good way to go. Zipper mod will really add new potential to your HH. Just knowing you could open the zippers by your head for a little look or cool air might be all you need. Good luck
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A Whoooo Buddy Welcome Racerman!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    My nephew had the same problem with claustophobia in a HH the first time he used one because the trees he chose were a bit too close together, so the ridgeline didn't fully tighten and the mosquito netting hung very close to his face. With your zipper mod and use of a larger fly that you could hang a bit higher, I figure you'll take care of the problem.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    With the zipper mod the HH will become a new and better creature. You'll love it.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerman_27410 View Post
    ... since i now have an un used rain fly was wondering if anyone had ever converted the stock rain fly into an undercover?

Frank
    Yes. I found the mod here: http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStay...flyProject.pdf and have successfully used it to improve my set-up.

It's not a great picture, but it's on there...
    Last edited by bdpalace; 02-16-2010 at 12:56. Reason: clean up img tags
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

thanks for the welcome(s) and that link.... i'm gonna try modifying my stock rain fly as an undercover and see how it works. Mostly my camping is in warmer temps but spring and fall does get down in the 40's/50/s during the early moring hours and thats when i've had the cold spot issues.

just cant see spending the dough on the SS unless i absolutely have to.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    A Whoooo Buddy Welcome Racerman!
    Shug

your vids are kickass Shug!

Frank

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    If you get rid of the stock fly which require a close fit for weather security and get a larger tarp that can be hung higher, and with better side and splash protection there will be more space which means less clostraphobia and incidentally less condensation issues.... plus more cooking area...All around better answer.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts