Post Another recruit...

OK, so I must admit that after my section hike of Georgia with my daughter Roo a few weeks ago that these hammock things interest me... My Hubba Hubba was great, but if I go solo I would rather do something with easy setup and lighter for sure.

I have been looking around and am leaning toward the Speer IIIA. I am also a supporter of the USA made stuff, and especially the little guy trying to eek out a living. I just ordered a ULA pack from Brian in Utah, and want to continue along that vain with my hammock. I am not ruling out Hennessey though by any means.

I do have a back injury I sustained in a helicopter crash 20 years ago, and am a bit concerned about the comfort. Anybody have a similar problem and any experience or suggestions?

I appreciate any suggestions or advice any of you could provide.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by buckowens View Post
    OK, so I must admit that after my section hike of Georgia with my daughter Roo a few weeks ago that these hammock things interest me... My Hubba Hubba was great, but if I go solo I would rather do something with easy setup and lighter for sure.

I have been looking around and am leaning toward the Speer IIIA. I am also a supporter of the USA made stuff, and especially the little guy trying to eek out a living. I just ordered a ULA pack from Brian in Utah, and want to continue along that vain with my hammock. I am not ruling out Hennessey though by any means.

I do have a back injury I sustained in a helicopter crash 20 years ago, and am a bit concerned about the comfort. Anybody have a similar problem and any experience or suggestions?

Buckowens, welcome aboard, glad to have you with us. I, and many others here, can say with a resonable measure of certainty that there is no turning back to the ground once you've hammocked. You'll be glad you did. If you're looking at Ed's stuff, you won't be disappointed at all. Speer Hammocks makes and sells quality gear at reasonable prices and Ed's customer service is absolutely second to none. On a side note, if you ever get to one of his hangouts, you'll never meet a nicer guy. Hope you can make it in the fall, it's a lot of fun to go to those hangouts. I made the one in April and had a blast. I met a lot of really nice folks and learned a lot.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Ed makes some high quaility gear. I use a homemade version of what he sells.

I also try to order from cottege gear manufators when I can. I haven't been disappointed yet.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum!

First, realize that hammocking has a learning curve. Just like camping had a learning curve in the beginning, but now you have a new set of skills to learn. And when you look at it that way, that you're learning a whole new set of skills, you won't get so frustrated when something small goes wrong and interrupts your sleep.

Second, test a lot. Practice setting up at home so you don't have to figure it out in the rain at dusk. Figure out at home or car camping what insulation you need for certain temps...so if you didn't bring enough, you have a quick bailout plan.

Third, if you find a problem, someone here has probably already experienced it before and found a solution (like slowhike's back injury). So when you hit a stumbling block (or when you find an innovative solution to something you ran into), come back here and share it...I'm sure it'll generate some good discussion and spur on several other ideas for solutions.

And last, make sure you have a good insulation plan. You'll probably need some bottom insulation below ~65F. Pads, underquilts, etc...it's really pretty simple, but figuring it out at first can be daunting. This page might help get your started:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    In response to your concern about back problems, I think Rockstar can help you out there. I'm not positive, but I do believe she had a back injury a while back, and that is why she uses a hammock now. She will be taking one on a thru hike next year. If you can't get completely comfortable, maybe you can sweet talk her into giving you here secrets for sleeping in a hammock with a back injury.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to the group buckowens.
    i was recently asked about my back injury & told the person that i should find another place on the web to tell that story in more detail for those that are occasionally interested. then i could just share a link to that site.

but in short, i broke my back & a bunch of ribs when i slipped & fell from a tree while recovering a hung-up bear bag line w/ it's rock sack in the panthertown wilderness area, nc, in 2002.

back injuries vary from person to person of course & broken bones are a whole different ball game from disk problems. from all i hear, i'm thankful to have had a broken back rather than disk problems.
    as much as anything, i believe in recent years, any discomforts i still have from that accident are associated w/ more w/ the broken ribs & the scar tissue from the two surgeries rather than the broken vertebrae.
    but those things have continued to improve to the point that i can sleep fine on the taught fabric of the hammock, but the extra comfort of the insulated air mats that i have become accustomed to keep drawing me back<g>.
    i use the big agness (BA) insulated aircore in warmer times & the exped down air mat (DAM) in colder temps. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Welcome to the hanging gang.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by buckowens View Post

Welcome Buckowens,

I have 2 Hennessy hammocks as well as a older Speer hammock. Am planning on making a DIY 10 foot hammock soon. A top loader may be better for back injuries as some have suggested before. That new Speer set-up really is nice.
    I think it is the best combo hammock and tarp out there that does not have you thinking of upgrading to a bigger tarp. That tarp is pretty nice.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-04-2007 at 18:13.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

I'll welcome you as well, though I'm new to this aspect of camping and have more questions than answers. This site is a great source for information.

TWS

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    welcome buckowens, and i have broken my back, and also have herniated/ruptured disks in my lumbar and cervical. so yes, hammock is the way to go. never felt better since i returned to backpacking after being told i had to give it up!and like justfeff mentoined, there is a learning curve. i use a top entry hammock and i think its less of a lerning curve for it(just my opinion.
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

• + New Posts