Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps

Burrow Econ 20 Review

I received a Burrow Econ 20 in the mail this week. I can hardly believe how much better this works than any insulation I've used before. It's almost magical—there's so much less fiddling to get things right.

My quilt is supposedly a second, but I don't see any defects on it. (I understand that this is fairly common for seconds from HG.) The Moroccan Blue color is a little more saturated (if that's the right word) than I expected, but I like it. The quilt looks beautiful. There IS indeed a differential cut, as one can see after giving the quilt a few seconds to loft up (it was hard for me to find this information before).

I chose the snap footbox because my feet often sweat, and I'm glad I did. I've found that I can orient the opening towards the bottom (under my feet), and this effectively keeps out cold air without needing to stuff the hole. I can also vent the bottom without having to sit up. Note that this takes a little length from the top of the quilt. I'm 5'11" (though kinda big around the middle), and this isn't a problem for me at all. There's still plenty left to wrap around the tops of my shoulders.

On that note, I was mildly shocked by how easy it was to keep the tops and backs of my shoulders warm with the top snap and drawcord. It works great without much trying.

I've heard concerns about the snaps tearing the fabric, but it feels like they're reinforced with grosgrain or something on the inside. I'm not worried at all that the snaps will tear the quilt.

I got the standard width quilt, which is supposed to be too narrow for ground sleeping. I've used it in my bed a couple nights, and can't imagine that I'd have trouble using this on the rare occasion I sleep on the ground rather than in a hammock.

I could be wrong about this, but it seems like the baffles at the very top and bottom have a bit more overfill than the rest of the quilt, helping maintain loft despite the odd angles to which they might sometimes be subjected.

I'll comment on how the temperature rating is working for me, but I have to begin with a disclaimer. I sleep hot. Really hot. And I overheat easily. I've been known to sleep under a normal, cotton top sheet, while my wife (who admittedly sleeps quite cold) is next to me in a hoodie and sweatpants under two layers of our down comforter.

The temperature here in the Twin Cities of Minnesota has by chance been hovering around 20 during the evenings this week. While I haven't spent a full night out yet, I've spent enough time with this and my Incubator Econ 20 for the temperature inside to stabilize. I wore shorts, socks, and a merino t-shirt for these short (~30-45 min) tests. If I lay flat with my legs together, I have to vent a little bit, lest my legs overheat and sweat. I can lay in a figure-4 position without feeling the slightest bit cold (assuming that I remain over the underquilt). My feet have yet to feel cold when I have the opening secured under them. Full nights will be required to determine what the rating is for me, but if I wear fleece pants and a warm baselayer, I have no question that I'll be comfortable in this setup down to 10F—maybe lower. Of course, I'll test these assumptions overnight in a safe location before putting my safety at risk.

So yeah, this quilt has definitely exceeded my expectations. And because it's the Econ line, it does all this at an almost-unbelievable price point. I couldn't be happier with this quilt, and I couldn't recommend it to others more enthusiastically.

D5264FCD-F4A8-4019-BF7E-D5D0FEEA64F5.jpg

Here’s a picture for scale of the quilt on my son’s twin size bed:
    A0A94CF1-D3E9-43CE-B85D-52EA3B09E513.jpg

And here’s a picture that shows the differential cut a bit.
    2B235376-1C70-48DA-83FC-E32CB549AA9A.jpg
    Last edited by Malcolm; 12-13-2017 at 18:51.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Nice review. Pictures or it's imaginary.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice stuff. I too sleep quite hot or just hot in general. I first went with the Econ 50, hoping to use it in summer. That might be tough, but it will be a nice spring/fall quilt. I added the Econ 30 to my collection too. Very happy with both and my quilt set is complete.

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Nice review. Pictures or it's imaginary.
    Thanks for the tip! Pictures have been added.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Thanks for the picture on the twin bed. Just what I needed to determine if HG's 20° standard width is suitable for my on-back ground camping and side-laying while reading. Wearing USA-40 [slim] jackets, the standard width seems sufficient.

Thanks for the review. I was about to order my burrow 0* and was gonna get it wide. But after seeing the pics I can’t imagine ever needing it. One question is do the econs have a snap for behind your neck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Just joe View Post
    Thanks for the review. I was about to order my burrow 0* and was gonna get it wide. But after seeing the pics I can’t imagine ever needing it. One question is do the econs have a snap for behind your neck?

Yes, mine has a snap and draw cord at the top.

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG top and under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Were you using a bottom quilt with the new Econ 20?
    If you were I missed it being mentioned.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Love my 20* econ quilt set...

I've had two or three nights at about 16* with no problem.. No wind, which helps but the thermometer read 16* regardless...

I have a HG 40* as well, a non-econ. No question it's a nicer piece than the econ, but for the number of nights I get out at lower temps, where the 40* won't work, the econ set is just about perfect..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    I thought the Econ just had to do with the fill not the materials and craftsmanship. Am I wrong?

I have been thinking an Econ winter one or a summer set should be in my future.

"Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast