Tarp
    dd
    Insulation
    snug pak uq
    Suspension
    self made
    Images

issues with dutch's winter sock

hey guys, hope ya all staying warm in the winter..

i got the dutch winter sock, but till now im not too happy.

on the positive side it breaks the wind well. also it keeps me a bit warmer. 5 degrees C. if i had to guess.

on the negative...

personal opinion:
    it not "nice" to sleep in that thing at all
    the chemicals used give me a bit of a headache

actual issues:

its hanging tight under my UQ. i got the snugpak UQ, which is not thick at all. i guess it would block the wind better if it would hang 2 inches lower. also, it stretches, if i roll up into the fetal sleeping position. (picture) if i bounce, pretty sure it rips sooner or later and i can ditch it. i got a great tailor, but fixing it, would make it even smaller.

security: u see nothing. i would have liked the mesh to be at the place where my head is.

i guess throwing a blanked over ur ridgeline and stuffing it between ur UQ and H would serve the same purpose while being cheaper and more versatile.

any good ideas? changing the length of my ridgeline is not really a good option.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I've been using the Dutch winter sock for a couple years now, I have noticed that if my Ridgeline is really tight that it is very snug and compresses my underquilt a little bit. I have an adjustable Ridgeline so generally I can loosen it to make a little more room under my quilt. Also he makes them in different lengths, are you sure you got the right one for your hammock. As far as chemicals go, there's no added chemicals it's just Aragon stitch together.

Dutch's customer service is outstanding. if you have a legitimate grievance you should contact him, I'm sure he'll make it right.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    Dutch's customer service is outstanding. if you have a legitimate grievance you should contact him, I'm sure he'll make it right.
    This is great advise. Before we blast a product, reach out to a very approachable cottage guy who will no doubt help if he can. Best of luck!

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.0 hexon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I have used Dutch's winter sock a few times, I just recently purchased one. I did notice that the 2 hammocks I've used it with it has fit different, with my 11' hexon 1.0 from Dutch it fit great, my home made 11' 1.6 hyperD it was a little snug but did not compress my 15* Wilderness Logics under quilt at all. I thought that the mesh was too large on it until I blocked it off and got condensation (thick frost) on the inside, now I accept the mesh and don't get the condensation. But I agree with Carrico if you have a serious issue contact Dutch, he has always made any issue right by me sometimes even when it was my error.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    This is great advise. Before we blast a product, reach out to a very approachable cottage guy who will no doubt help if he can. Best of luck!
    Who's blasting a product?? I read it as somewhat of a review from a person looking for advice on how to make it work. Sounds like someone who's having issues and is looking for input from other users. Seeing that micks is in Germany, and possibly had a lengthy wait to get the product, outstanding customer service might be too little too late.

micks, give us some more info. Hammock dimensions, RL length, your dimensions, and what length sock you have. I bet the knowledgeable folks here can figure something out for ya.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I was a bit concerned about stating my changes I would like to see on Dutch's sock also, mostly because of maybe being yelled at or even banned forever from using a hammock. But I think Dutch may appreciate some feedback and I will take my chances.
    Mick, you could purchase a yard of the same fabric and sew in a strip along the bottom to widen it. Mine is wide enough, but it would work on yours. The change I would like to see is where the mesh ends over my head is actually where I would want the mesh to begin. I already purchased the same material from him, True Timber 2.0 (and the sock and his work is flawless and is just what I wanted and he did not even hesitate to make it), and I am going to remove the mesh, sew in solid fabric, and then put a two foot window in over my head of the removed mesh so I can see the night sky (one of the reasons I hammock). Overall, he is so good to work with that I do not want to bother him and I like to sew. I may even build a snap on cover that could partially cover the window in case it is very cold or snowing, but I could still see out the sides. I am not complaining at all, just talking about what I would like to use.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    Also, if you think there is chemicals, which I am sure there are not but there may be fabric dust, just gently handwash it. It will dry fast.

Hammock
    tttm
    Tarp
    dd
    Insulation
    snug pak uq
    Suspension
    self made
    Images
    thanks for the input guys.

i didnt want to bash the product.. i may sound like atm im unhappy with the product. but thats because iam. but i need a solution like the sock and i am trying to make it work. and if u help me to do that, iam more than happy to state that here.

yea... putting together your right gear in germany is harder than in the us.

dimensons:

structural ridgeline : 298 cm (9.7769 ft) without the carabiners 284 cm (9.31759)

the h. is just 40 cm (1.31234) longer. which to me is not a crazy amount of sag. got the tttm king size.
    i got the longer 11 ft i think version of the sock. i am 6 foot 2 inches and quite skinny.

dutch even stated that there is "plenty of space for an UQ" in his sock. of course... i mean, not sure of a szenrio where i would need a winter sock and no UQ.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    My only point was to reach out to Dutch. Relax guys, no harm intended. Best of luck means I hope you get your issue straightened out. Dialing in gear can be a pain, but our trials lead to a great hang... eventually! LOL!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Re "chemicals" - just wash the sock and any odors should be gone. Argon is a simple, calendared ripstop - there's no difference to other DWR fabrics.

Re tightness - it sounds like the sock does not fit your hammock. If you are indeed using a Ticket to the Moon hammock, it should only be 295cm long at most. TTTM claims 320cm on their website, but that length was measured including rope and hooks, so it doesn't count. I would be surprised if your hammock would be 298cm + 40cm = 338cm! long. The customer support of TTTM has said that they have never sold any hammocks longer than 300cm. Either you were lucky and got an unusually long TTTM; or you are using another hammock; or you didn't measure your ridgeline correctly. Unless you attached the ridgeline above the hammock ends.

In any case, if you got an 11' sock, it really should fit. Unless you have a huge amount of sag. Maybe measure the ridgeline length of your sock, and also the depth? Maybe you got smaller sock by accident?

Re window - I don't know any wind/winter socks that have mesh windows. The sock is meant to protect from wind and to keep the warmth in. Net won't block the wind very well. If the sock has a zipper, simply crack it open. That's what I do, and it works very well. If it doesn't have a zipper, your only option might be to mod the sock.

Re blanket over the ridgeline - that would not do the same thing as a sock, but rather be an improvised top cover. You won't have any protection from below, which - in my opinion - is a big part of the protection a sock provides. But it might work for your needs.

If you're interested, I have a Wilderness Logics Winter Sock that I'm going to sell. It doesn't have a mesh window, but it does have a zipper and I could give you the exact measurements so that you can figure out if it would be a better fit with your set-up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast