Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Did you have someone else who knows hammocks look at it for you while you were in it? Even with a camera set up, I think it is easier to look for gaps from outside when someone else is in it. My wife is shorter than I am, so I can't use her but every time I experiment with a new hammock/quilt combo, I have my oldest son, who is close to my size get in it so I can go all around and check the gaps myself. I have always been concerned about how my favorite quilts, which always worked perfectly on my 10 footer, are able to move to my 11s, but so far, so good. It doesn't seem like it should work, but it somehow does. Hang in there. (pun intended....)
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was by myself so no help. But I was surprised my usual tricks didn't work. Maybe I'll have my wife lie in it to test. Maybe there's something I'm totally missing. But I didn't expect such trouble simply switching to a longer hammock...assuming it's the hammock.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I TOTALLY should have taken both hammocks. I thought about doing that but completely forgot while packing. That would have settled it right then and there.

The leg shelf is what Hammockgear does to their underquilts. Starting about 2/3 down from the end, the quilt has sort of a tighter/narrower part that is a little higher than the rest of the quilt. (hard to explain). This is supposed to conform to your body better than just a flat quilt. I'm not sure where you're legs are supposed to start hitting this, but I always assumed at the knee/lower thigh.

Better explained here around 1:15 - https://youtu.be/9Q1aVusZ90M
    Thanks,so would my 20 HG Phoenix have a leg shelf?
    Personally,I think you should have your wife adjust your quilt to the newer hammock while you are in it when its cold out so you can feel what it's doing.

Also wondering if the uq has "broken in" based on how you hung in the shorter hammock and now that you have it on a longer one you can feel the difference?Put the quilt back on the short hammock and tell us what happens?

Could be you need to buy a quilt for the longer hammock?(it's good for the economy ya know!)

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Thanks,so would my 20 HG Phoenix have a leg shelf?
    Personally,I think you should have your wife adjust your quilt to the newer hammock while you are in it when its cold out so you can feel what it's doing.

Also wondering if the uq has "broken in" based on how you hung in the shorter hammock and now that you have it on a longer one you can feel the difference?Put the quilt back on the short hammock and tell us what happens?

Could be you need to buy a quilt for the longer hammock?(it's good for the economy ya know!)
    All good questions! The Phoenix is designed to start at your shoulders and go from there, so it's a bit of a leg shelf still. And if you get a custom length "Phincubator" like I also have at 62", just the leg part is extended.

I did think about going back to full length 78" Incubator, but man, the short worked out so well until now and it was nice to cut a little bulk. Plus I feel silly buying a new quilt to fit a $35 hammock, but I've done crazier things.

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    As others have said I would definitely get someone to adjust it while YOUR laying in it. It will conform differently to an 11 than a 10, which is probably where your problem lays.
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Badweissenbier View Post
    As others have said I would definitely get someone to adjust it while YOUR laying in it. It will conform differently to an 11 than a 10, which is probably where your problem lays.
    I'll give that a shot. I don't know if it's helpful but here a snapshot from the video I was doing after I got home. Pretty much the same setup during my trip, but I deleted those videos already. I focused on the foot end since I suspect that, but who knows.

It looks like a 1" gap all along the end, but I think that's just the lighting/angle.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Right or wrong-I have always been under the impression that if you cinch your quilt too tight at the ends it will create a little sag under your back that you would otherwise not have.Last night I spent out was pretty windy and I had no uqp on and did get about three good blasts of wind up my back but it was not worth getting up for.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I put my UQP on regardless.....and supplement with fleece quilt liner on top that wraps underneath me.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    You could try tying some pussics to your ridgeline and then bring down some shock cord to the corners of your UQ to raise the ends. You could also use these https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ri...e-quilt-hooks/, that's probably why they make them. That would pull the ends up tight and you could also loosen the end gap shock cords on your quilt to eliminate the corrugated effect of the ends too tight.

Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    For what it's worth, I had to tie my suspension up toward the ridgeline to get a good seal on my 11.5' hammock. I clip the HG quilt suspension to the continuous loops, run the elastic along the ridgeline for about a foot (by tying the elastic together with some extra rope) and then in angles down to the quilt. So there is definitely an upward pull from the primary elastic.

One important thing I discovered: try testing the hammock outdoors on a cold day with strong sunlight hitting the hammock from the side (sunrise/sunset). This way you can see where there is a gap while you are in the hammock. If you have a good seal, there will be a strong shadow from the quilt, if not, you'll see light leaking in.

Hope this helps!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast