Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    One other thing I added was a couple short pieces of shock cord to hook the foot end and mid section (of the quilt) to the ridge line thus eliminating any further pockets.
    Me too. I use JRB's shockcord with end loops, attached with one inch carabiners to the side loops near shoulders, waist, and feet, then over the ridgeline to the other side of the UQ. That is not recommended on these forum, but it is working for me. The concept of trying to seal an UQ throughout its length and ends, using shockcord only threaded lengthwise, doesn't make sense to me, but that happens often in my life. Yes, when the hammock is unoccupied, the UQ edges are higher than the hammock edges, and you have to unhook the middle one to get into the hammock.

ETA: This is on Leighlo standard quilts, made by same person as OutandBack's custom quilt shown in his post above. At the OP: If you have external loops along the edge of your quilts, try using shockcord connecting the sides, across the ridgeline.
    Last edited by heyyou; 12-17-2017 at 15:53.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    heyyou said "That is not recommended on these forum, but it is working for me."
    Over the hammock rl quilt support-
    I have seen it mentioned plenty. Its a down and dirty fix for a saggy quilt and makes sense. Ive seen this mod on a few winter quilts.
    Do what works.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.0 hexon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I usually have a set of Dutch's ridge line quilt hooks with me just in case I can't get the ends to seal up, I used them a lot when I first started hanging but have needed them less and less but I still carry them they only way a few grams.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    What about the ol' hot water bottle between the legs strategy to at least get that part of the body warmed up when you start the night? It sounds like you've tried everything else and those things should have worked.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    What about the ol' hot water bottle between the legs strategy to at least get that part of the body warmed up when you start the night? It sounds like you've tried everything else and those things should have worked.
    I love doing that for my cold feet when it's stupid cold out, but really don't want to do it to remedy an improper setup. Something isn't right and I just can't figure it out.

My flashlight was acting up, water filter sucks, some possible mystery health issue, UQ consistently failing. I've given up and started selling stuff

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I love doing that for my cold feet when it's stupid cold out, but really don't want to do it to remedy an improper setup. Something isn't right and I just can't figure it out.

My flashlight was acting up, water filter sucks, some possible mystery health issue, UQ consistently failing. I've given up and started selling stuff
    This makes me kinda sad.
    It should just be fun. Only a hobby.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Perhaps try a different manufacturer. I've never use HG quilts; but both of my Loco Libre UQs fit my 11' Raven perfectly. George specifically sets the primary suspension for an 11' hammock- and it's a little tighter than you think it would be. I believe with HG, you have to adjust the primary suspension to get it to fit properly.

It would be a shame to throw in the towel after investing so much into the hobby. If you're already invested, I think it would be worthwhile to try a few other products out before giving in. Perhaps you're already planning to do that.

Lastly, I wish you the best regarding the "mystery health issue." Hopefully it's nothing serious.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    It would be a shame to throw in the towel after investing so much into the hobby. If you're already invested, I think it would be worthwhile to try a few other products out before giving in. Perhaps you're already planning to do that.
    I'd hate to add up all the money I've spent over the past 6 years. That's a long time, but only started struggling the past two maybe. It's just weird. Of course some of that is likely from switching up gear and trying new things, but even the things that used to work 100% are iffy.

The worst part is failing after I thought I had it all figured out. After a cold night here or there, I was always able to fix the problem after an "AH HA!" moment and help others. Now it's back to me failing 50% of the time or more.

This "leg shelf" thing on the UQ has be thinking...doing more harm than good? If you get a nearly flat lay in the hammock, why make the UQ anything but flat?

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quilt was working just fine with the old hammock?Maybe you should go back to it in the same conditions or take both hammocks to the woods together and see what happens?

Would someone please explain to me what a "leg shelf" is?That's a new term for me.Is a legshelf a hammock thing or a quilt thing?
    Yeah,I'm ignorant and trying to learn something.Man,I love this site!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Quilt was working just fine with the old hammock?Maybe you should go back to it in the same conditions or take both hammocks to the woods together and see what happens?

Would someone please explain to me what a "leg shelf" is?That's a new term for me.Is a legshelf a hammock thing or a quilt thing?
    Yeah,I'm ignorant and trying to learn something.Man,I love this site!
    I TOTALLY should have taken both hammocks. I thought about doing that but completely forgot while packing. That would have settled it right then and there.

The leg shelf is what Hammockgear does to their underquilts. Starting about 2/3 down from the end, the quilt has sort of a tighter/narrower part that is a little higher than the rest of the quilt. (hard to explain). This is supposed to conform to your body better than just a flat quilt. I'm not sure where you're legs are supposed to start hitting this, but I always assumed at the knee/lower thigh.

Better explained here around 1:15 - https://youtu.be/9Q1aVusZ90M

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast