Hammock
    gathered end dutchware
    Tarp
    hennesy hex
    Insulation
    AHE new river
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

ridgeline tarp set up... would bling help?

As long as I can remember, I've been using a continuous ridgeline with para cord, prussik loops, and sticks for toggles. It works fine, but I'm aiming for something quicker and easier, especially when setting up porch mode.

Traded in my bulky 3x3 tarp for a lighter Hennessy hex hammock, and I have snake skins coming to me.

My goal is to get the tarp up as quickly as possible, and streamline the whole process.

I'm curious if wasps or flyz would make this eaiser, or just add to the time it takes to put it up.

All things with practice of course, and I should mention that I'm one of those weird folks Shug talks about (I love tying knots, and know many easy quick release knots and hitches).

I welcome your thoughts!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I use a CRL with deep "V"s on each end. I used to use just one piece of bling- a Dutch Fleaz on one end (my adjustment end) and a soft shackle on the other to attach the CRL to the tarp. Recently I've gone to a Dutch Hook to accomplish the same thing more hassle free, as soft shackles can be a little fiddly.

In the first few minutes of THIS VIDEO I show how I use my CRL, minus the Dutch Hook.

Another big boost to ease of setup is to keep your CRL installed on the tarp, and use snake skins (one or two, your preference). It is so much faster to put up and take down that way. You'll love your new skins.

As with any new system there is a learning curve. There are a million different ways to string up a tarp and none of them are wrong, just find what works best for you!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DW DP BB
    I watched the johnspenn video and did as he instructed. The set up is fast but the sweetest thing is the ease of tarp adjustment. It eliminated my need for prussicks and toggles. I like the dutch hook setup on 1 end and the dutch stinger on the other.

The only issue I see is the deep "v's" my interfere with sliding my tarp skins off although I have not tested that maneuver yet. Overall this is the best setup I have tried out of many.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I currently carry a pair of Dutch Stingers that weigh .6oz for the pair.Also carry a Dutch CRL with hook on one end and Wasp on the other with soft shackle prussics to connect to the tarp.The tarp will slide back and forth as you want with this connection although I prefer the stingers for the HG winter palace but the CRL for my summer Dutch Xenon tarp.Recently I read about someone who cranked down on their stingers while attached to a Cuben tarp and it delaminated the seam.Tried snakeskins but they aren't for me.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan1840 View Post
    I watched the johnspenn video and did as he instructed. The set up is fast but the sweetest thing is the ease of tarp adjustment. It eliminated my need for prussicks and toggles. I like the dutch hook setup on 1 end and the dutch stinger on the other.

The only issue I see is the deep "v's" my interfere with sliding my tarp skins off although I have not tested that maneuver yet. Overall this is the best setup I have tried out of many.
    I'm glad it's worked for ya! FWIW currently have a set of mesh skins from Mountain Goat. I hang my tarp while it's still skinned, and then just slide each piece off to its respective side. It just sort of bunches up on the end there, no problems, and slides right back on when I'm ready to take it down.

I'm going to try to DIY a single piece skin for my new winter tarp, 12' long with pockets for the CRL on the ends, with some camo netting I picked up cheap at Walmart. We'll see how that goes =)

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I don't use the "deep V" but do use the Dutch Hook and a Dutch Fleaz. Also, I have my tarp in skins and use a Continuous Ridge Line.

To deploy tarp:
    - Bring Dutch Hook at end of Lash-it around tree and attach to itself at tree.
    - Go to other end and adjust Fleaz if needed close to tree.
    - Take Lash-it CRL, go around tree and connect to Fleaz, pull tight and secure.

At this time, I can either leave the tarp up in it's skin or pull back the skins and open the tarp. The tarp is usually under the CRL and I can center it using the mini UCR(or prussic) attaching the tarp to the CRL.

For me, the speed of using the bling helps when tired or if it's raining since I don't have to worry about knots or wet lines. Also, the use of hydrophobic lines like Zing-it or Lash-it are better than paracord since it doesn't absorb water like the paracord and the bonus of extreme little stretch.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    UK Hammocks
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40/Econ 0
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I've moved from a Dutch CRL to Stingerz - for me they are much easier and quicker to get the tarp up with the added benefit of the mechanical advantage when putting the tarp up gets it much tighter than with the CRL. It's a win all round.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Have you seen these yet? https://www.namagear.com/product-page/cord-claw I just received them and looking forward to using them, particularly on cold days when it’s difficult to slid prussic knots on a CRL.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Just like OMS I purchased some of the cord-claws from Nama Gear to try on my continuous ridgeline with a Dutch hook on one end and a Dutch wasp on the other.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks like I am going to be buying some new bling in the new year. The cord claws look interesting so I am going to have to give them a try. I don't currently use a CRL but I have been considering it so that my pole mods can sit on the CRL and not my tarp

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast