Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Smile Hiking Solo

Quote Originally Posted by rankinesoccer View Post
    shoot... my friend bailed on me. what do you guys think about going on a few overnights by myself? or going on a mountain madness expedition to mt. olympus.
    Hello rankinesoccer:

I have a son and a daughter close to your age.

You sound like a mature and thoughtful young man with great enthusiasm. But, while you are still a minor; IMHO the most appropriate place for you to discuss the merits of your unsupervised and/or solo hiking plans is with your parents or guardians.

Please keep in mind that most of those that you will meet on-line are at a great disadvantage in advising you; because they don't know enough about you or your circumstances regarding the matters you are presenting.

Best wishes.

im 16 and me and my friends go on backpacking alone at least every other week. in the summer we go for 5-7 day trips at a time. as long as your parents trust you and know where you are , or a have a way of reaching you , you should be fine.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If your 16 .... can drive on America's highways ...... have backwood skills and CONFIDENCE....... then go.
    My feeling is that because you are asking if you should go .... then maybe deep down your not that confident.
    Go solo close to home a few times and get used to it.
    Then go .... go boy .... go!!!!!!!
    Shug ... Lone Wolf
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Well Said...

Quote Originally Posted by zgadow20 View Post
    im 16 and me and my friends go on backpacking alone at least every other week. in the summer we go for 5-7 day trips at a time. as long as your parents trust you and know where you are , or a have a way of reaching you , you should be fine.
    Hello zgadow20:

I think you said it very well, "as long as your parents trust you and know where you are , or a have a way of reaching you , you should be fine."

Best wishes in your outdoor adventures.

I am looking at a guided trek that is 5 days long in the same area. I caould do it, but as this would summit mt. oulympus, I need a ton of new gear. Guess its time to talk to the "'rents" Otherwise I am planning to do the Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic (which some fellow riders may have heard about) it involves a night of camping too... unless I do 203 miles in a day. My parents said NO! pretty quickly to a few overnighters alone. Back to square one, right!

By the way, WV I almost got the chance to go to this world cup too! I have family in South Africa, but flights are expensive. I'll be in Switzerland, Germany, the Czech Republic, Singapore and Malaysia. For the World Cup, I'll be in the Czech Republic (the trip idea was for July ~20-30) they take the huge TV monitor from the soccer (football, sorry) soccer stadium and put it in the town square. A few thousand come out to watch, so its fun. Hope that everyone else is also planning great summer trips.

oops, the czechs didn't even qualify, so not as big of a crowd.

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    My wife and I are rangers in Oly -- at 16 you can solo with the normal back country camping permit but be prepared to a answer some questions to a well intentioned ranger (maybe me) and give details of your trip.

Lake Mills BTW is at the front country edge of our turf.

Our experience with NOLS in Oly and Rainier is that they are universally fantastic -- we see them about 3x/yr. Might consider them....they and REI used to guide trips around Mt Rainier too. That's another place to consider ... cuz you can have the park cache food for you at 3 places around the 93 mi Wonderland Trail. Mowich Lake trailside camp is the only place where a hammock prolly will not workout.

While climbing is a rush and huge fun, at 16 you might consider another kind of trip. Time for that later and your parents might worry more for you on a climb even tho Mt Olympus is not considered a big deal. Anyway you are too young for that addiction.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

I think I just developed career envy Riverkeeper....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rankinesoccer View Post
    Otherwise I am planning to do the Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic (which some fellow riders may have heard about) it involves a night of camping too... unless I do 203 miles in a day.
    I made this ride 3 times (05-07). It is a nice ride. But it did wear on my 50+ body. Plus preparation for it takes away from backcountry time.

thanks riverkeeper! I have heard a bit about NOLS, and will take a look at their programs. Have you had any experience with "Mountain Madness" expedition company. If you have read Into Thin Air, Mountain Madness was Scott Fischer's company. Where in the park are you stationed?

OldMan, what did you think of the ride? How was the support and the route? I'd like a bit more info on the ride than the site provides.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast