Neoprene for a stuff sack

Hi hangers,

After finding out (too late) I was missing a ton of equipment for a short winter adventure I started wondering on the possibilities of creating a stuff sack out of neoprene? I would be using a spliceable cord for the opening/closure, although I don't think neoprene will allow much stretch.

Is there something I need to be particularly careful with using this material? Is it an absolutely ridiculous idea and I should throw it out the window?

Thank you for the input,

JMS

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Lots of companies make neoprene bags they're popular for beach and grocery totes. Search Target for some examples: https://www.target.com/s/neoprene+bag

But as a kayaker for over 25 years who's worn wetsuits for a lot of that time, as well as someone who's used 40 Below neoprene overboots on several occasions, I'm not a fan of neoprene for gear unless there's no choice. People tout how easy neoprene is to repair because it also tears so easily. You'll note that every wetsuit sold comes with repair patches attached because it will rip at some point. It's also heavy and it is not waterproof: water will wick it's way through the material given enough time. At the same time, it's also not breatheable, which is the exact opposite of what people usually look for in outdoor gear. It also has a tendency to smell - like rubber for a long time, but also like many synthetic fabrics, it gets rank really fast if exposed to water bacause it takles forever to dry and holds organic matter in its pores. Ask any surfer/paddler who has neoprene boots. My wife used to refuse to let mine in the house during the paddling season. Now I soak them in special neoprene cleaner in a 5 gallion bucket after every other use.

I'd avoid it for backpacking if it were me.

Good luck.,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about doing that more as a way to start using up the neoprene than anything else. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board now.

Cheers,

JMS53

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Neoprene can be tricky to sew. Consider abutted seams (no seam allowance) with a zig zag and a heavy duty needle (denim or leather).
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Jellyfish is right, and a heavy thread too. Surfers use dental floss a lot for quick repairs. Fisherman use a heavy line. I've used a waxed cotton thread the one time I thught a repair needed sewing. I tend to think of it more like Cuben fiber though and as a gluable product with minimal sewing. Neoprene Queen and Aquaseal are popular glues. I use Aquaseal more than I'd like to admit to repair crampon damage to my overboots and the occasional wetsuit tear. But if you're working with thinner grades, sewing probably becomes more important.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Instead of stuff sacks why not try sewing up a cozie for your water bottle or maybe a cozie for rehydrating meals if you want to work with neoprene.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts