ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip

hammocks and motion sickness

I want to take my friend camping, but they get motion sickness. does anyone have suggestions on stabilizing a hammock? i don't have even the slightest case of motion sickness so i don't ever notice whether or not i'm rocking. i know HH seem to have two ties that go down on either side of the hammock, is that what they are for? and how would you do something like that on a hammock w/o them? thanks for the comments
    Ray

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Usually tie outs are for spreading the fabric out to make it feel roomier, but a side effect is indeed stopping the side motion. You should be able to either sew or pin some shock cord to the sides of just about any hammock to decrease the amount of sway.

On the flip side, some people actually tie a string to a stake point and drape it into the hammock so they can create sway when it ceases.

I guess it takes all kinds.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Ray022085 View Post
    I want to take my friend camping, but they get motion sickness. does anyone have suggestions on stabilizing a hammock? i don't have even the slightest case of motion sickness so i don't ever notice whether or not i'm rocking. i know HH seem to have two ties that go down on either side of the hammock, is that what they are for? and how would you do something like that on a hammock w/o them? thanks for the comments
    Ray
    They don't have motion sickness, they have psych issues. I know all about motion sickness, I puked into my regulator on a ocean dive once, got sick nearly every other time I went diving when the seas weren't really calm. I went to jumpmaster school so I could get up and go to the open aircraft door to puke unimpeded. What I reccommend is about a week long really hard hike, with them living on the ground and you arising all cheery every morning. That'll cure 'em.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    i dont know a whole lot about motion sickness, but i would think that its not much a concern. the friend will probably roll around alot on the ground n e way.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    My daughter gets MS easily but she has no problem in an ENO in the backyard ... I don't think there's enough motion normally in a hammock to cause anyone a problem. Especially if it doesn't bother her.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I went camping with someone who loved their Hennessy and slept in it quite well, despite having chronic motion sickness in cars and planes. I've never had a problem with it myself, and I sometimes get sick in cars too.

Set up in the back yard, talk 'em into trying it for a few hours, then go out in the morning, wake them up, and ask them if they had any problems.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    I get motion sick pretty easily and badly. Ocean vessels are not anything I'm interested in. I'm cool in air planes as long as I don't try to bend myself in half to look out the window (why they put them at knee level is beyond me). Even swinging high on a swing set can mess with my head. They didn't call me "spew" for nothing

The sway in a hammock is no where near that bad. It may rock a bit getting in but gravity will quickly stop the sway.

I would suggest going with a hammock that doesn't have the bug netting fixed to the hammock or at least one where they could fold it back out of the way. Reduced visibility could be an aggravating issue. Also, utilize the tie outs to keep the fabric from folding up around them. If the eyes can see something to help stabilize the equilibrium (whether physical or mental) it will help. Once they are comfortable with the hammock, motion sickness won't be an issue.

Don't even get me started on Dizzy bat 5 times one way, 5 times the other way then somersault in the "general" direction you need to run is an effective strategy though.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    It may depend on whether or not there is a bugnet / tarp covering them. When the inner ear detects motion and it doesn't match the static view that the eye is picking up, it can cause motion sickness. Gunners in tanks are notorious for getting motion sickness because they have a static view of a stable sight picture while their bodies are getting jostled all around while the tank is moving.

An open hammock would probably not be nearly as bad as a closed / covered one.

Maybe adding patterns to the underside of the tarp can help alleviate the disconnect between the image your eye is viewing as static and what your inner-ear is feeling as motion.

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    Ginger pills are the best thing you can do for motion sickness. Mythbusters tested, mother approved.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    My one teen daughter gets motion sickness very easily. She kinda freaked the first few times getting into a hammock. Once she realized they stop moving pretty quickly, she was ok with it. Plus I put/have side tieouts on my hammocks, which helps.

She said she felt a lot more at ease starting out with the netless hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast