Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    schrochem - when you use the rings on the suspension, I would recommend using only rings that have a rating. Any rated rings you get will probably have a rating far beyond what you need, but you have no idea what you are getting with unrated rings, maybe good or maybe bad or maybe just so so. The bad ones are what you definitely do not want, but you have no way of knowing without destructive testing. I just do not trust anything unrated on my hammock suspension. I use unrated rings for my ridge line, but not the suspension.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Grizz - with the suspension line lengths I have, the compression forces on the spreader bars can be handled by my treking poles and when I reach up, flat on my back, the ridge line touches my fingers right across the first knuckle. If I raise my torso even slightly, I can easily hook and unhook micro carabiners to/from the ridge line.

So handling "controls" on the ridge line is really no problem.
    I've just got pictures to work off. Harder to tell from yours, but I'm pretty sure Scott's arms aren't long enough to do what you can do. His attachment points to terra firma must be higher than yours, at least that would explain the difference. Or you're closer to our presumed simian forebears than the rest of us (just a joke slowhike, just a joke )

Any way one does the ridgeline, you're going to have to pitch the tarp high to get it past the spreader bars, at least when you need a steeper pitch for weather. No namby-pamby tarp for this critter. Maybe a 12'x12' version of the SG tarp that neo loves.

Grizz

Images
    This is brilliant idea.

I can already see where I could take some 1.1 oz DWR ripstop, shape it for an undercover in this manner, sew my GG thin light pads to the ripstop exactly where I want them. The pads can then be lowered or raised into position and they stay exactly where needed. Better than the Speer SPE.

The same with under quilts.

Brilliant.

I just tried out using my oware 1/8" evasote pad (which I believe is the same stuff). I'm not sure you really have to sew it to the fabric. I was able to center it and get in the hammock. It stayed pretty much there, but it's real easy to just sit up, lower the bottom, and move the thing around, then pull back up. AND I can handle a pad this way. I've tried them all in the HH and never could get comfortable. Basically I hate having a pad or anything for that matter under me inside the hammock. In the Bridge, I could feel the pad contouring to my body but it wasn't objectionable.
    Grizz, yea I can reach the ridgeline fine from laying down, but it is pretty easy to just sit up. But you do have a point about the tarp. The ridgeline in this photo is about 10'
    I'll see how it goes with my Maccat next time I set it up out there.
    Last edited by schrochem; 07-05-2007 at 20:45.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I've just got pictures to work off.
    Grizz
    well....start sewing
    Scott

RWE

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    well....start sewing
    you're killing me, man. Hitting where it hurts.

Grizz the wounded

Images
    I mentioned something in the first post in the thread but it might not have been clear. I'm considering incorporating the ends into one of these underlayers (or the primary hammock itself). It wouldn't be hard to do, just extend out the fabric during the cut like this (past the lines)

Then the ends could be brought together to a point. Then it will look kinda like canoe

EDIT: Actually the ends wouldn't be such a straight diagnol like that but more of a curve upward, so it will be like saggy pocket.

This accomplishes a few things. It can easily be attached to some point on the suspension and act like the draft stopper like Tee Dee made. It can also act as storage for your gear. The main thing I'd like to use it for is storing a quilt I don't need when I go to sleep but need later in the night. In my other hammocks I try to shove it in the end (which it doesn't stay), hang it over a ridge line, or just let it sit next to me (which is too hot).
    I also plan on having it as part of the bugnetting system (still in development ).
    Last edited by schrochem; 07-05-2007 at 22:03.
    Scott

RWE

Images
    schrochem - when you use the rings on the suspension, I would recommend using only rings that have a rating. Any rated rings you get will probably have a rating far beyond what you need, but you have no idea what you are getting with unrated rings, maybe good or maybe bad or maybe just so so. The bad ones are what you definitely do not want, but you have no way of knowing without destructive testing. I just do not trust anything unrated on my hammock suspension. I use unrated rings for my ridge line, but not the suspension.
    Where's a good source for rated rings?
    I looked in a few places but they didn't have a rating.
    Thanks
    Scott

RWE

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Or you're closer to our presumed simian forebears than the rest of us (just a joke slowhike, just a joke )
    Grizz
    i figured as much<g>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Why not just sew it to the foot end and let the head end hang down. Then you could just pull the head end up to snug the insulation. That would alleviate the need for an entire ridgeline to adjust it.

For rated rings, go to www.amazon.com and search for "descending rings."
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

bamboo

Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    Cool, it will be interesting to see what you come up with.
    I still don't have a solution for the spreaders yet....
    If you have access to bamboo you might experiment with that.
    Bicycles are being made of it (been treated of course, but the raw holding power is there) because carbon fiber is increasingly rare.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast