Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Squaring up the ends of fabric

I have several yards of fabric (Wally World purchase) but the end of the bolt is NOT square. What is the easiest way they you all have found to get the end square?
    I have tried using a contractors square, but maybe I am using it incorrectly for the job.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cam

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    I have several yards of fabric (Wally World purchase) but the end of the bolt is NOT square. What is the easiest way they you all have found to get the end square?
    I have tried using a contractors square, but maybe I am using it incorrectly for the job.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cam
    I've got a huge work table with a square top, so it's easy for me

The end of the material will have a "short" and a "long" corner. The "long" corner sticks out farther, while the "short" corner is recessed.

Eyeball the end of the material and locate the "short" corner. If you can't tell by eye, the material probably isn't out of square far enough to matter.

Make sure your material is as flat as possible, and not stretched out.

From the "short" corner, measure along the length of the material 3', then across the width 4'. Make marks at both of these measurements, on the edges of the material.

Now measure between your marks. If this measurement is close (within 1/2" or so) to 5', you're square enough. If not, adjust the width mark (the 4' measurement) so you DO get 5' between the two marks. As you adjust the width mark, make sure it's still 4' from the "short" corner.

When you have 3' along the length edge, 4' across the width, and 5' in between, you've got a right triangle. From the "short" corner to your 4' (width) mark is now a straight line, square to the long edge of the material.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I've got a huge work table with a square top, so it's easy for me

The end of the material will have a "short" and a "long" corner. The "long" corner sticks out farther, while the "short" corner is recessed.

Eyeball the end of the material and locate the "short" corner. If you can't tell by eye, the material probably isn't out of square far enough to matter.

Make sure your material is as flat as possible, and not stretched out.

From the "short" corner, measure along the length of the material 3', then across the width 4'. Make marks at both of these measurements, on the edges of the material.

Now measure between your marks. If this measurement is close (within 1/2" or so) to 5', you're square enough. If not, adjust the width mark (the 4' measurement) so you DO get 5' between the two marks. As you adjust the width mark, make sure it's still 4' from the "short" corner.

When you have 3' along the length edge, 4' across the width, and 5' in between, you've got a right triangle. From the "short" corner to your 4' (width) mark is now a straight line, square to the long edge of the material.
    Ahhhh... Yes, the 3,4,5 triangle. I should have thought of that, but thats why I come here. All sorts of smart people that can help me on my way.
    Thanks BB

Cam

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I like to cut along the grain of the fabric to get a "true" edge. With gridstop it's easier to see, I just follow the grid. The reason is how the material is currently stretched may be really skewed to how it's woven. Yank on your "short" corner enough and it'll soon be the "long" corner. It probably doesn't matter anyway, I just like to avoid cutting across the gridlines since they are what stop the unraveling.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    I like to cut along the grain of the fabric to get a "true" edge. With gridstop it's easier to see, I just follow the grid. The reason is how the material is currently stretched may be really skewed to how it's woven. Yank on your "short" corner enough and it'll soon be the "long" corner. It probably doesn't matter anyway, I just like to avoid cutting across the gridlines since they are what stop the unraveling.
    That's all I do. I figure there is already relatively straight lines on it, why not use them. Most of the time it comes out pretty straight. If it is a little off it does not matter too much. After all my seams are usually a little of anyways.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The one thing that will really help in your task is to get a roll cutter. After recently buying one, I don't know how I ever lived without it. To even up the ends of my fabric I fold it in half and then use a yard stick to get a straight edge.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The one thing that will really help in your task is to get a roll cutter. After recently buying one, I don't know how I ever lived without it. To even up the ends of my fabric I fold it in half and then use a yard stick to get a straight edge.
    That and a cutting board are at the top of my DIY materials to purchase list.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    ahhhh, the simplest solution outshines all others and i don't even sew!!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    That and a cutting board are at the top of my DIY materials to purchase list.
    I really want a cutting board but they are expensive and I can't seem to find one that is gonna be big enough for the size of fabric that I normally deal with. If I can find the material in bulk I had thought about making a work bench with a cutting map for a top.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I don't see how that's any simpler than measuring a triangle I know, I know...I'm a geek!

I'm not sure how the folding-in-half thing ensures a square edge, either?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast