Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
I rarely lounge in my hammock during the day. However, when I have lounged, the greenhouse effect is present with every tarp I've owned - silnylon, polyester, and cuben fiber. If the sun is beating down, you're probably going to get hot. Still, you are hanging from trees, so trees provide shade.

For loungers, I'd question why one would consider cuben fiber - it's more for hikers who are concerned about weight (and hikers probably aren't going to be lounging in the midday sun - they're going to be hiking).
The option to provide shade can be useful to hikers, too. I have hiked about 500 miles in Spain; each day, I started as early in the morning as the light would allow it and try to walk about 18 miles a day. Unfortunately, I couldn't take a hammock on that particular trip, but I kept wishing that I could hang in the shade during the hottest hours of the day because the sun was so aggressive between 11am and 3pm. This is probably not an issue in heavily wooded areas like the AT, but if I were to hike the PCT and take a hammock, I would appreciate a tarp that provides some shade and still save as much weight as possible.