Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I rarely lounge in my hammock during the day. However, when I have lounged, the greenhouse effect is present with every tarp I've owned - silnylon, polyester, and cuben fiber. If the sun is beating down, you're probably going to get hot. Still, you are hanging from trees, so trees provide shade.

For loungers, I'd question why one would consider cuben fiber - it's more for hikers who are concerned about weight (and hikers probably aren't going to be lounging in the midday sun - they're going to be hiking).
    The option to provide shade can be useful to hikers, too. I have hiked about 500 miles in Spain; each day, I started as early in the morning as the light would allow it and try to walk about 18 miles a day. Unfortunately, I couldn't take a hammock on that particular trip, but I kept wishing that I could hang in the shade during the hottest hours of the day because the sun was so aggressive between 11am and 3pm. This is probably not an issue in heavily wooded areas like the AT, but if I were to hike the PCT and take a hammock, I would appreciate a tarp that provides some shade and still save as much weight as possible.

Thanks guys, I guess i'll go for the other materials available.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, Revolt
    Suspension
    Venom-J-bend-CL
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The option to provide shade can be useful to hikers, too. I have hiked about 500 miles in Spain; each day, I started as early in the morning as the light would allow it and try to walk about 18 miles a day. Unfortunately, I couldn't take a hammock on that particular trip, but I kept wishing that I could hang in the shade during the hottest hours of the day because the sun was so aggressive between 11am and 3pm. This is probably not an issue in heavily wooded areas like the AT, but if I were to hike the PCT and take a hammock, I would appreciate a tarp that provides some shade and still save as much weight as possible.
    Yours is a good point — a lesson from the land of the siesta!

Here in the northeast USA we have a lot of humidity to accompany the heat in the summer, and I find that with an early start I can often hike 15 miles easily by about 1:30-2pm, just in time for a 2-hour siesta. But there is plenty of shade from trees so a tarp is rarely needed.
    Late spring 'for real UL' hammock backpacking list

Confidence is the happy zone between arrogance and caution. Me