WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    zpacks 4 season
    Insulation
    nunatak tq / HG uq
    Suspension
    whoopies

Anybody add 2nd OCF to Hennessy SS?

Wondering if anyone has a report of adding a 2nd OCF pad to the Hennessy Supershelter and if so, results? I know some have added CC pads to the mix but i'm wondering, specifically, on adding a 2nd OCF pad.

Thanks,
    Randy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If memory serves the HH website says the addition of a second foam pad is not only doable but very effective. The pads themselves are reasonably cheap as replacement items. I have not had to mess around with any additional pads and I've been into the low teens with my SS and a cheapo Coleman 0* sleeping bag. One way or the other the space blanket is needed to make the system work well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    I'm reasonably sure that adding a pad adding a full HH pad would add considerable warmth, but I have never tried it, so..... But will you have a ccf pad for a sit pad or back up? Which could easily be used as a leg pad?

If so, you might want to consider simply adding one or more sets of the HH kidney and Torso pads. I think the combo is at least as thick, and maybe more, than the original pad, and it concentrates the thickness right where you need it most.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    zpacks 4 season
    Insulation
    nunatak tq / HG uq
    Suspension
    whoopies
    good ideas, thanks!

i just picked up another hh ocf in the gear-4-sale section so we'll see what happens. smaller than my Exp UL but should work covering the sensitive areas that need coverin'...

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Decending Rings
    I would rather carry a separate CCF pad as this had more uses around camp than a second OCF pad. Then combine for greater warmth. Plus I carry my OCF pad with the space blanket already duct tapped to one side rolled up in the CCF pad in a waterproof bag which gives good protection.
    Bazza

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I wonder if creating a sleeve out of 1.1 ripstop for the HH OCF pad would boost its rating without adding as much bulk as 2 stacked OCF pads? The sleeve might help with trapping more air pockets.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    zpacks 4 season
    Insulation
    nunatak tq / HG uq
    Suspension
    whoopies
    i emailed tom and posed the same question to him and also his thoughts on using a ccf pad instead of 2nd ocf.

here's his reply this AM-

Hi, Randy - a second open cell foam pad will work but unless it is very cold should not be necessary. The system is designed to allow the addition of a fully opened insulated jacket to be laid underneath the open cell foam underpad or additional clothing such as wool sox, fleece, anything of insulating value.
    The open cell foam pads are contoured and concave to match the shape of the hammock with a body in it. Any closed cell foam pad placed under the hammock will not contour properly. The jacket goes under the pad but lighter objects (scarf, socks, etc.) go above the pad. The space blanket goes on top of everything.
    The only way I could see using a closed cell pad is inside the hammock where the weight of your body will force the pad into a concave shape. The closed cell foam pad does not work underneath. One of the advantages of our system is to avoid the bulk and inconvenience of using and carrying a closed cell foam pad. We think it would be a much better solution to have two ocf underpads rather than an ocf and a ccf.

Please let us know if you need additional info.

Tom

hopefully the cold last awhile longer here in ohio til i get my 2nd ocf from a fellow hf board member and can do some testing of the ss as tom suggest.

knotty- didn't ask tom as i had already sent the email to him. not sure how a body compressing the cover bag would work to add any insulation underneath the backside of me? i like the outta the box thinking though to some of these problems..

randy
    ohio

• + New Posts