WBBB DL1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie

which quilts to bring?

I have 3 quilts, all JRB, stealth, HR in long, and MWUQ4. I am walking the West Coast Trail in BC at the end of may. There is a legitimate chance the lows will hit 32F (low 40s are the norm) and I will see alot of rain. I will be sleeping in socks, merino long underwear and LS top, toque, synthetic insulated hooded OR jacket (this is the coat I wear through the winter up here and ski in), merino gloves (all if needed). Buying another quilt is not an option (course I have said this before). Keeping my wt. down is a key consideration.

I was going to use the HR under and the stealth over, but have been questioning this choice lately (perhaps more related to being february in Ottawa). If I am to cool at night, I have just gotten up and started walking, not my preference, especially if raining, but it has happened.

What are your thoughts on which combo to take?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    MWUQ4 on bottom and HR on top if you want to make sure you're warm. Personally, I wouldn't want to try to stay warm at 32F in a Stealth, but you might be able to make it in your jacket...it's a chance you choose to take if weight is that important to you.

I think the physical comfort of getting a good night's sleep, and the psychological comfortable of knowing I'll be comfortable when I lay down, always makes up for a few extra ounces in my pack just in the extra energy I have when I wake up.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    are these down or synthetic? if down, I would advise adding an over/under cover (or sock) of DWR; if synth, probably no worries.
    warm or cold sleeper?
    sit pad for leg area?
    fleece stuff sack for pillow?
    wrist warmers?
    neck gaiter/balaclava?
    down booties have been getting glowing reviews lately...
    just a few thoughts/ounces to think about..
    HTH, KM

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    You are still talking shoulder season and iffy weather.... 40* expected could easily be 20 *...

Go with JJ's recommendation and you will be fine...MW4 and HR-l... couple ounces heavier but you are assured of protection and it is already in your gear locker.

Have a great trip.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Another one recommending the MWUQ4 and HR combo. You should be able to stay toasty well below the temps you're reporting with that set-up. Just make sure you have a generously sized tarp so that you can stay comfortable when it's raining and you aren't sleeping. Plus, you'll want to keep all that down as dry as possible.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie
    thanks for the responses.

Should have stated that I will be using the SWT tarp.

The following is based on data collected from 1971 to 2000 at the north end of the 100km trail: 27F is the "extreme low" recorded during the month of May, and that in '75, I am keeping in mind that I am going during the fourth week of the month. On average 5 days out of the month the minimum drops to 37F. The average daily minimum for the month of May is 43F.

I usually carry 6 sections of z-rest as sitpad/ground insulation/sheet in a pinch - I will be taking my new WBBB 1.1 double and can use this for extra insulation. I also have a neatsheet multi quilt, that I could factor in.

you all sticking to safe and heavier - or anyone think the HR and Stealth with pad and jacket would do it?

• + New Posts