Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Well, other than the 3 feet from the ground part, I'd just tell my dog to quit walking so close. We hike late like that lots in the Summer, including on the FHT last week. Finished past first light two different nights.
    I really enjoy night hiking. I look forward to the change of pace that the shorter days bring.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Where I am from we have mountain lion and bear, but none come close enough to hikers to have to worry. I also hike with a teenager who makes too much noise for anything to want to come close. In the summer we love to hike at night and rest during the day, but if that ever happened to me I would be getting ready to kill something with my staff
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    Well the only thing I can think of that would fit that height in that area would either be a young deer or a bear. The deer would never get that close, especially at night, and bears don't stalk. But if you were indeed near Asheville, it could have been a really "enlightened" hippie who lost his/her way. Did you happen to hear drums in the distance?

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Is the Blair Witch anywhere near there?
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteinbergerGPPRo View Post
    Well the only thing I can think of that would fit that height in that area would either be a young deer or a bear. The deer would never get that close, especially at night, and bears don't stalk. But if you were indeed near Asheville, it could have been a really "enlightened" hippie who lost his/her way. Did you happen to hear drums in the distance?
    i once watched a deer slowly circle our camp, eating grass, unconcerned. we weren't talking loudly... just laid back... & so was she.
    she was just barely close enough that i could see her from the light of our small camp fire.
    we were (again) in the mt rogers rec area were they see hikers regularly.
    check out a picture in my gallery from that same place were i took several pictures of a deer & a rabbit eating grass about 7' apart from each other. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P7080079.JPG
    Last edited by slowhike; 07-22-2007 at 00:16.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    It probably was a very humanized deer then. Usually wild deer hate to be near humans. They'll even avoid the lingering smell of humans who've been in an area recently.

El Chupacabra!

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
    for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    -- Leonardo da Vinci

Images
    once while canoe camping i was night fishing for catfish..i kept hearing something out in the darkness..i figured it was deer or wild boar both are very common in my area...i was growing tired and was thinking of calling it a night and returning to my hammock for some rest...i had just reeled in and was picking up my gear when this explosion of sound and movement happend on the bank behind me...i droped my pole and directed my light toward this thing...it took several seconds to realise what i was looking at..30 ft away was a mud covered..90 pound hunting dog...and he was frothing at the mouth...so i knew he was rabid...i dropped everything and dove into the river.. i swam to the far bank and sat on the sand bar ...I watched him for over an hour as he went thru his fits and attacking things like my gear...he would spin and bite the air..like he was battling demons i could not see..finally he moved off and i returned to camp...swimming back across that river and walking up into the darkeness of those woods knowing that this was still out there ..was one of the scaryest things i have ever done

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    once while canoe camping i was night fishing for catfish..i kept hearing something out in the darkness..i figured it was deer or wild boar both are very common in my area...i was growing tired and was thinking of calling it a night and returning to my hammock for some rest...i had just reeled in and was picking up my gear when this explosion of sound and movement happend on the bank behind me...i droped my pole and directed my light toward this thing...it took several seconds to realise what i was looking at..30 ft away was a mud covered..90 pound hunting dog...and he was frothing at the mouth...so i knew he was rabid...i dropped everything and dove into the river.. i swam to the far bank and sat on the sand bar ...I watched him for over an hour as he went thru his fits and attacking things like my gear...he would spin and bite the air..like he was battling demons i could not see..finally he moved off and i returned to camp...swimming back across that river and walking up into the darkeness of those woods knowing that this was still out there ..was one of the scaryest things i have ever done
    i believe i would have hung my hammock about 10' high that night.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    And back on the other side of the river.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast