WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie

A new King of something

All hail King Burrito! New lord of the extreme sway!
    Now down on your knees dawgs! (especially You...Cannibil)
    I said...down on your knees dawgs!

So sorry sire...it's seems that your most loyal subject Cannibil has put some sort of spell on them, and they won't respond to your wishes.
    Shall I call for your just returned court jester....Hawk-eye ... and tell Shug to hit the road toad?
    I could tell him that it just wasn't working out ...or maybe lie to him one more time ...he wouldn't know the diff. anyways, and yes...he'll probably cry again.

PS sure do love these smileys.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newzy View Post
    So this is not an abberant phenomenon that happens in my household when I tell the wife I'm going to sleep out in the hammock when it,s 10-20f out with the wind howling and the snow blowing sideways? I tell her I'd rather test out in the side lot and find out what works or doesn't rather than find out when I'm camping. I get the "sure honey whatever you like" with the squierd sideways eyebrows and condensending look like (right after I call the little men with the white coats and comfy jacket for you) that kind of look??
    That'd be the look ...

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Images
    Well, apparently you and your tarp survived, so this should ratchet up my confidence with tarps in severe wind! The wind chill would have been horrific, so I suppose you also managed to block this wind pretty well with your tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I've been out in 30-40 mph gusts. About when the hammock starts to wave around (and the trees are 2-3 feet in diameter!) is when I bail and head for a wide meadow far from branches....

Congrats on the safe hammock speed test - let us know when you get back from Oz.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Sounds like an experience. I was camping in Linville Gorge one time on the ridge and got hit with a wind storm but I doubt it was 70mph.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosef View Post
    ... but I doubt it was 70mph.
    Bet if felt like it though!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I had to abandon a camp one night when 70ft dead pines started to fall down around us.

Not sure how windy it actually was but I had been getting bounced in my hammock for a good hour before we decided to pack up and leave. I went back to the site a couple of days later, although no trees had come down where we had pitched there were around a dozen scattered about which had come down that night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    You da Man! That truly makes you a Flying Burrito Brother ( A band from the 60's-70's era).

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Out of most weather conditions I've encountered while hammocking, I feel the most uneasy in high wind conditions. Especially when it's pitch black outside and I cannot see where that tree is falling....

It's great to do foul-weather testing before you head out to the woods. I like to set up new stuff in the worst weather possible in the backyard to get a better idea of the reality of what can happen, and what I can do about it. Unexpected things can still happen in the woods, but I feel better prepared for those times, having tested.

Hats off to you for toughing it out!!

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, apparently you and your tarp survived, so this should ratchet up my confidence with tarps in severe wind! The wind chill would have been horrific, so I suppose you also managed to block this wind pretty well with your tarp.
    The tarp does most of the work, but the topcover REALLY helps to block the wind and retain alot of warmth inside too.

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I've been out in 30-40 mph gusts. About when the hammock starts to wave around (and the trees are 2-3 feet in diameter!) is when I bail and head for a wide meadow far from branches....

Congrats on the safe hammock speed test - let us know when you get back from Oz.
    I'm back! Dorethy and crew say hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I had to abandon a camp one night when 70ft dead pines started to fall down around us.

Not sure how windy it actually was but I had been getting bounced in my hammock for a good hour before we decided to pack up and leave. I went back to the site a couple of days later, although no trees had come down where we had pitched there were around a dozen scattered about which had come down that night.
    Fortunately, the only tree really that would be a threat is the hickory I'm tied to, and that one is very much alive, all the others are a pretty good distance away.

Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Out of most weather conditions I've encountered while hammocking, I feel the most uneasy in high wind conditions. Especially when it's pitch black outside and I cannot see where that tree is falling....

It's great to do foul-weather testing before you head out to the woods. I like to set up new stuff in the worst weather possible in the backyard to get a better idea of the reality of what can happen, and what I can do about it. Unexpected things can still happen in the woods, but I feel better prepared for those times, having tested.

Hats off to you for toughing it out!!
    Yeah, I do know that terrifying, wide-eyed feeling of not knowing where that fell, or not knowing where the NEXT one is going to come down.(Linville Gorge hang last fall!)
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast