Warbonnet Traveler DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    BigMamaJamba spinn
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

FYI: Potentially weak D rings on McCatt Ultra

Sharing an email sent Brian on February 7th. I waited to post this observation here in case he had anything to add which might provide additional insight or suggestions, but have not heard from him yet. This was sent about a week after receipt of the McCatt Ultra Spinn recently ordered. I was pleased with the order turn around time given his student schedule.

Brian,
    I can see why you get such rave reviews on quality. Knowing how important that is to you, I wanted to let you know that it appears the plastic D-rings may be a bad lot. I set the tarp up in 10-15MPH breezes and temps in the mid-20's rising to low 30's today. Sometime today, one of the ridgeline D-rings broke. I tied them directly to a tree rather than setting up an actual ridgeline to attach them to because I thought they were intended to be used either way. I think that is what you intend, but let me know if I am wrong. Fortunately, it was a clean crack all the way through so it did not break into pieces. I plan to super glue it and probably reinforce with duct tape unless you have a better recommendation from experience.

I am not asking you to do anything, just wanted you to be aware of this for quality control. I do think I should suggest to HF members that either the use of an actual ridgeline or some reinforcement with duct tape would be in order for these D rings in colder temps unless you have better information to share on this. An experience of one, while 100% for me, is of course not indicative of a pattern, but worth paying attention to.

Let me know if I can help with any more information, Mike (Hokie)

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    I hope they are okay.

Does anyone have an older MacCat and new one to compare side by side? I can only go on memory, as I sold my Sil Ultra before I received the Spinn UL. My memory seems to think the D-rings looked better on the older Sil tarp I had.

I've been intending to examine my ridgeline and see if I can redo it, like the Warbonnet ones, not sure if it's possible or within my DIY skillset, but I think the Warbonnet ridgelines are superior to the MacCat ones, although the steel rings aren't nearly as pretty as a D-ring.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Hokie Pokie, attach some shockcord to the "D"-rings next time. This will reduce the strain on them in windy conditions and prevent breakage. Depending on the diameter, you may need to double it up. You want it to give, but be stiff enough to remain taught when tied and not give too easily.

Blessings

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    I have a Gen 1(dynemma gridstop on tie outs) Deluxe and a Gen 3(solid black gridstop at tie outs) Ive had my gen 3 set up in the backyard working with a 2Q's pod mod idea. I have not had any problems with my Drings. Currently the gen3 has made it thru 3 consecutive days of wind gusting to 30mph. Sucks to hear that a d ring broke on you. I use my Maccats as you used yours without a ridgeline. I however do use a ridgeline with my SWT.

I wouldnt suggest repairing the dring with superglue and duct tape as more than likely it will break again. I would cut the grossgrain ribbon and resew a new dring in the old ones place.

On a customer service note. My gen 1 deluxe, I bought second hand from WB and my pup got excited when i was setting it up for the first time and pierced her toenail thru the sil. I sent a emial to Brian asking the procedure to fix it and he replied with such and also offered to fix it for me, which took me by surprise being it was second hand.

Good luck with your tarp. I think Maccat is the tautest tarp I own.

NW Highlands area of NJ in sight of Delaware Water Gap
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    BigMamaJamba spinn
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    Hokie Pokie, attach some shockcord to the "D"-rings next time. This will reduce the strain on them in windy conditions and prevent breakage. Depending on the diameter, you may need to double it up. You want it to give, but be stiff enough to remain taught when tied and not give too easily.

Blessings
    Good idea!

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
    I have a Gen 1(dynemma gridstop on tie outs) Deluxe and a Gen 3(solid black gridstop at tie outs) Ive had my gen 3 set up in the backyard working with a 2Q's pod mod idea.
    How's that pole mod working out for you? Got any pics of the setup? What poles did you use? We've been kicking around making the pole pockets available as well as offering to sew them on as well. Fibraplex.com poles seem to be a good option. How did you secure your pole at the ridgeline? A sewn on loop? Thanks for any feedback Luke.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    So far the pole mod is great. I started off with a 3/8" diameter wally world tent pole for guesstimate measuring.

Ive since gone to a smaller diameter 1/4" maybe pole that I found from a friend.

The smaller diameter makes a lot of difference in the pitch.

I sewed a loop similar to that of Grizz's in his discription.

I got a few inches of snow today and tarp is hanging strong.

The tent pole measures out at 98.5" or 8 ft 2 1/2"
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts