Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

looking to upgrade hammock!!!

Im looking to upgrade my hammock.Im looking for a lightweight hammock around 2.5lbs or lighter.Ive been looking at the Clark ultra light w/o the tarp,i want the weathershield,but there isnt a weathershield for the ultra light.Has anyone made a weathershield that zips in.Thanks,HS

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Check out Warbonnet outdoors. They have very good hammocks and less that 2lb.
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    There are 2 hammocks in the world (OK I'm teasing/exaggerating)-
    Warbonnet Blackbird (just set mine up for bed tonight, currently 18F) or
    the JRB Bridge.
    My Blackbird is in the close neighborhood of 1 pound 6 ounces.....if your limit was 2 pounds 6 ounces that is a whole pound for something extravagant like a blow up doll! (teasing again but this lady who was trying to date me gave up because of my hiking paddling trips, she told me I needed a blow up doll that would fit in my pack, I asked her if she knew of one made in spinnUL? She didn't get the joke HA!)

Before this thread is over you'll get many recommendations---Just remember anything off the ground is advancing your life!

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

lol,blow up Doll

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    There are 2 hammocks in the world (OK I'm teasing/exaggerating)-
    Warbonnet Blackbird (just set mine up for bed tonight, currently 18F) or
    the JRB Bridge.
    My Blackbird is in the close neighborhood of 1 pound 6 ounces.....if your limit was 2 pounds 6 ounces that is a whole pound for something extravagant like a blow up doll! (teasing again but this lady who was trying to date me gave up because of my hiking paddling trips, she told me I needed a blow up doll that would fit in my pack, I asked her if she knew of one made in spinnUL? She didn't get the joke HA!)

Before this thread is over you'll get many recommendations---Just remember anything off the ground is advancing your life!
    lol,lots cheaper in the long run(which my ex married the dude next door).But im looking at the clark's hammocks right now.thanks HS

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    i'm thinking of naming mine Delileah

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    HS,

Not sure what you are looking for from the weather shield. For me, using the North American model - The weather shield is great for keeping the cold drafts from blowing through. Something a tarp may or may not take care of. I have not required the weather shield to keep blowing rain out. The standard tarp or larger, properly set, works fine keeping me dry.

As to my Clark Ultralight, I have not installed a zippered weather shield. But a poncho attached "A frame" over the bug net ridge works in a pinch. This adds no additional weight to your pack assuming you're carrying the poncho in the first place.

I was not sure if the 2.5 lb limit was including a tarp, but Just a thought, the Clark Tropical Hammock, no tarp, with the optional weather shield is 38 oz. Just under the 2.5 lbs.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    CJK-ultralight
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    3/4 crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I like the clarks Ultra light,would like the weather shield to,but there isnt one for the ultra light.I would think if there are weather shields for all the rest of the clarks hammocks that if a person wanting to buy a ultra light and ask for one the company would make them one.HS

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    Im looking to upgrade my hammock.Im looking for a lightweight hammock around 2.5lbs or lighter.Ive been looking at the Clark ultra light w/o the tarp,i want the weathershield,but there isnt a weathershield for the ultra light.Has anyone made a weathershield that zips in.Thanks,HS

Are you a "gram weenie", so-to-speak? (not meant in a derogatory manner)

The Clark Tropical (2lbs. 8.5 oz.) is only a few ounces more than the UltraLight (2 lbs. 6 oz.), [2.5 ounces, to be exact...according to the Clark website info] and you can add the Weather Shield as an option with the Tropical model. The Weather Shield will add a few more ounces to the total weight, I'm sure, but it can't be much.

You're probably looking at maybe 6-8 ounces difference, tops. Keep in mind though...that's just me guessing. You can always email Clark and ask for weights on the Tropical with the optional Weather Shield...if it's not much heavier than the UltraLight, I think you'd be good to go. A shelter under 3 lbs. is pretty great...even better if it's a hammock!
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    ... I asked her if she knew of one made in spinnUL? She didn't get the joke HA!)

Being a gram weenie, that's funny!!
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    First, ask yourself why you like the Clark. It's a great hammock and has a big fan base, but why do YOU like it? Then see if you can get those same features in another hammock that will meet your needs as well or better.

The Blackbird has an after market weathershield. With either hammock+weathershield (Clark or Blackbird), you'll still need a tarp over it. And with the BB you can leave the weathershield home in the winter to save bulk/weight.

The Blackbird has a storage shelf inside. The Clark's outer pockets can help keep you warm, though (but the Clark UL doesn't have many pockets).

The Clark is much more expensive and a bit heavier than most other hammocks (but you get the pockets and an integrated weathershield for it...which means you can't leave the weathershield home to save weight/bulk in the summer).

The Blackbird, in the experience of most people who have them, is the most comfortable gathered end hammock they've tried. Others compare bridge hammocks, like the JRB Bear Mountain, in comfort b/c it lays completely flat...so if comfort is an issue for you, consider that one as well.

I'm not trying to sell you a Blackbird and have no financial interest in it...just want you to make the most informed decision you can so you're happiest with your first purchase. Clark makes a great product, so I'm sure you'll be satisfied with it if you still choose it. Like I said, it has a lot of loyal followers as well.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts