Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ohio Hammockers, I need some help

I am searching for a trail. When I was younger, about 20-25 years ago, I took a backpacking trip with a church group. I am searching for this trail and thought that someone from here may have hiked the same trail and will be able to recognize it from the very vague memories I have of it.

There are really only 2 things I remember vividly, there was a pond/lake. I don't remember it being very big, and there was quite a bit of open area on the side that we camped on. We were also able to swim in it, and if I remember correctly it has a sandy bottom. We also crossed a stream/creek, it wasn't very deep (ankle deep) but it was quite fast-moving. it has rocks on the bottom that were slick.

I wish I could remember more but thats about it. It was a 3-day backpacking trip, but I have no idea how many miles it was. I was around 10 at the time, and another friend that went on the same trip told me he believes it was in Wayne National Forest.

Any help, or ideas of what trail it could have been would be greatly appreciated. If you have pictures of the pond/lake you think i may be thinking of that would really help since it's the only vivid memory I have.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Check Tim Watson on Utube, he's an Ohio boy that hikes everywhere

Hammock
    Dream hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream13
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep/BanditXL
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Yeah, watch some Tim W. videos. He's fun to watch and you might get taken back to where you were when you were younger. You can also look up Josh Ebersole on YouTube. He often hikes with Tim also.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Lake Vesuvius?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post
    Lake Vesuvius?
    That might be right. Definitely the beach area is sandy. You can't camp right by the beach part of the lake now, but maybe you could 25 yrs ago. The creek there isn't exactly fast moving, but I think it could be at certain times of year.
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    That might be right. Definitely the beach area is sandy. You can't camp right by the beach part of the lake now, but maybe you could 25 yrs ago. The creek there isn't exactly fast moving, but I think it could be at certain times of year.
    I agree that it most likely is Lake Vesuvius. On one trip I camped between a field and a stream. People were swimming in portions of the stream late that afternoon when I arrived. I never went back because it was close to a road and seemed to be well used by the locals at that time.

One last guess would be Wildcat Hollow on the North tip of Burr Oak State Park, but that is more of a lake than a pond. But it’s in Wayne National Forrest.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    I don’t know if it would be Lake Vesuvius because it is a decent sized lake . The trail around the shore is 8 miles long. Wayne national forest is littered with small ponds down here . Storms Creek that creates lake Vesuvius has many swimming holes and is sandy . I have camped along it a few times just upstream from the lake.
    visualize whirled peas.

yea this wasn't a very large lake/pond. I've talked to a few of the other members of the group that went with me. And one has said that he believes it was a portion of the Buckeye Trail, in perry county. But he doesn't remember the trail heads we started at or ended at. Does anyone have any idea how big of an area that is? Would it be possible to hike the whole thing in a weekend?

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B
    Good luck with your search... Curious do you know of any 2 to 3 day backpacking trip trails in Northern Ohio? I would like to take my boys out 8 and 11.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiecamper View Post
    Good luck with your search... Curious do you know of any 2 to 3 day backpacking trip trails in Northern Ohio? I would like to take my boys out 8 and 11.
    This does not exist, sadly. You have to start heading south for multiple day backpacking in Northern Ohio. Any backpacking, really. It's a frustrating place to live, sometimes. haha

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast