Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    http://www.hike-mst.org/ - at 526 km not too far off your target.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    If you don't mind going a little South, the Ouachita Trail is around 225 miles. Arkansas to Oklahoma

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd consider the JMT but I've already done some hiking in the Sierras. I used to live in Los Angeles and have done Yosemite many parts of SoCal…even a few hikes in Angeles National before we lost her to the fires last year.

My wife will not be joining me for this trip, sorry if I confused anyone in my original write-up.

Are bears an issue on the SHT...or more importantly, do I have to carry a bear bin?

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Benton MacKaye Trail, N. Ga. to Davenport Gap in the Smokys. 297 miles.
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Benton MacKaye Trail, N. Ga. to Davenport Gap in the Smokys. 297 miles.
    And SGT Rock just published a new Thru Hikers Guide to the BMT. Would suggest you brush up on your compass and map skills as some of this is wilderness and trail markings can be limited in places, with multiple trails intersecting at critical points.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    If you want to work your way up, say 10 days, then 3 weeks, then a thru consider the Foorthills Trail.
    I went to an authors roundtable once, all authors speaking make a living writing books on hiking/paddling trails..they all said that the Foothills Trail was a hidden gem in the US.
    75ish miles long, alternate endings depending on which state park you want to end at, LOTs of waterfalls, significant climbs AND one of the longest stretches of trail in the US where you cannot resupply.
    Just another option.....but don't do it in summer.

I think this hike will be a must do later this year. I'm a sucker for waterfalls. What's the best time to do it? Seems like a hike that can be done in a week or less pushing 15+ miles daily. With the elevation varying between 1400ft and 3000ft (if I read everything correctly) it shouldn't be hard to accomplish that.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    What time frame are you thinking? I won't be able to do three weeks, but I might be able to do a section with you. That would help satisfy part of your wife's requirements for some of the time, and you would only have to put up with me for part of the time! I move to Detroit by May of this year, so the SHT would be relatively close for both of us.
    Last edited by Trooper; 02-12-2010 at 21:35.

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Do the Long Trail! The LT has a northern section that has a reputation as one of the toughest stretches of trail in the US. Nothing in Arkansas and Oklahoma is gonna compare and you won't be sweating out of your eyeballs as much!

I am planning on starting around Aug 1.

Have fun with whatever you decide!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SBreckenridge View Post
    I think this hike will be a must do later this year. I'm a sucker for waterfalls. What's the best time to do it? Seems like a hike that can be done in a week or less pushing 15+ miles daily. With the elevation varying between 1400ft and 3000ft (if I read everything correctly) it shouldn't be hard to accomplish that.
    Schneiderlein has a great trip report on his Foothills Trail thru hike here.
    I've hiked portions of the trail in May and October. Both were great, but in May, the Mountain Laurel and Rhododendron were blooming like crazy. Beautiful.
    I wouldn't trust the elevation data. There are some tough sections. It can be done with 15 mile days and light packs, but not by me.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    AAHH I was confused as well by your post and thought you were looking to do a trail with your Wife. Your just looking for some one to do a trail with or part of a trail with. Well I am E2E'ing the LT this summer, Planning on leaving January 26 ish, and my GF would love for me to do some or the whole trail with some one. So if this works in conjunction with your plans then PM me and we can talk. I choose the LT for the challenge and my love of the Green MT's ive visited their twice and since then those MT's have been calling my name.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast