Hammock
    Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm going to clarify my situation as I appear to have confused enough people with my original post. I by no means intend this reiteration to be an insult.

- I want to do a sub 300 mile thru-hike of a trail east of the Rockies. I used to live in CA and have experienced the Sierras and will be returning their multiple times over the next few years so I don't want to use this trip for the JMT or other trails out there.

- My wife will not be going with me. She has two rods in her back and camping is extremely uncomfortable for her plus we have a 13 month old and we both can't take a long vacation without him.

- My wife doesn't want me going alone on this trip. Though my pride says, "I'll be fine." I have to agree that for safety sake, it is much better to hike with at least one other. I don't think those pics of the helo medivacing the hiker we found with a broken ankle on our last trip helped my sales pitch for a solo hike. Plus, who am I going to share stories with?

- I cannot go until 2011. I just moved from CA to IN in the last days of December, bought a house, and re-established my department at work here in this regions office. Between the work expectation this year and my son only being 13 months old, I'm not willing to take off until next year when my wife has a better support system out here. We only know 4 people in the state and they are all over an hour away. By next year we should have babysitters and may even be able to coordinate a girl friend of hers coming out for a vacation while I'm gone.

- Why am I planning for 2011 now? I like to work towards a goal each year in everything i do. Last year for hiking it was a 4 day trip to Yosemite. If I set a goal to do a 300 mile trail in 2011 I will spend the next year building towards achieving that goal. I start with how many miles a day I need to do to meet the goal and map out a build up plan using local trails. This gets me out and exploring more. I look for trails with the types of features I want to work on, distance or elevation. I'll guesstimate my pack weight for the final trip and load down my with extra water, gear, or old dive weights throughout the build-up hikes. If I plan to do 15 miles a day, I'll train to meet over 20 miles a day. I plan for a 24lbs pack, I'll carry 30 on the build up hikes. In the end it all helps me get in shape, allows me to enjoy my final hike more, and just gives me something else to think about besides work.....or what color my wife wants to paint every wall in this house.

- This year I'm most likely get out for one or two different outings of 5-7 days each. My old hiking buddy works in our CA office and we'll write off at least one trip to the owners as a department team building exercise. One of these trips may be the Foothills Trail. I looked into it last night and with posts here mentioning waterfalls and Rhododendrons I have to say that it's a trail meant for me to do.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    That's a great plan, SBreckinridge.
    If you can make it to upper South Carolina, you won't be disappointed with the Foothills Trail.

Here are few pictures from a May trip.
    The flowers by the river was at my campsite on the Chatooga River. I was sitting on a rock, enjoying breakfast.
    The waterfall is Upper Whitewater Falls.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Well I am E2E'ing the LT this summer, Planning on leaving January 26 ish
    You're late.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    You're late.
    LMAO yeah im pretty late for that leave date, I guess Ill have to push it back to June 26 (my mistake meant to say June the first time). Any ways if I went this time of year id freez my a$$ off up their this time of year.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    The Sheltowee Trace here in KY is 269 miles. It starts at the northern terminus near Morehead, KY and travels South through KY to Pickett Stae Park in TN. There have been people who has thru hike the whole trail in 2 weeks, but depending on how many miles per day you are wanting to do you could turn it into a 3 week trip. It travels through the Cave Run Lake, Red River Gorge, and The Big South Fork areas of KY just to name a few.
    Chris

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    is there a place we can find some/all the trails grouped by length/duration/difficulty /location? it would make trip planning a lot easier..
    KM

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    For the Sheltowee trace there is a book called day and overnight hikes on the Sheltowee. In the back of the book is a detailed intenery of thru hiking the trail, it actually starts at the southern terminus of the trail in the book.
    Chris

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    http://www.sheltoweetrace.com.The downside to the ST is the amount of road hiking. I would estimate that 40 miles or so will be on the road. Also there are limited resupply options but, much like this forum, the online community is quick to offer support. There are a couple of thru journals on the site that will give you a good idea of what to expect. Good luck!
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a great blog on Sam Haroldson's SHT thru hike. Day by day, play by play.....http://samh.net/backpacking/?do=showproduct&id=112
    and a reference sheet .... http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sPZ2S69...WO%20PAGES.pdf

Good luck choosing ....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SBreckenridge View Post
    - This year I'm most likely get out for one or two different outings of 5-7 days each. My old hiking buddy works in our CA office and we'll write off at least one trip to the owners as a department team building exercise. One of these trips may be the Foothills Trail. I looked into it last night and with posts here mentioning waterfalls and Rhododendrons I have to say that it's a trail meant for me to do.
    I can only recommend the Foothills Trail. I have hiked it twice so far, and will go back this year for another thru-hike, probably in late April. It is perfect for hammockers. It does get pretty hot in the summers, probably best to go in the Spring or Fall. I live fairly close by, if you need any help with a shuttle from GSP, let me know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast