ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip

I need some input on a thread injector

my machine is slowly crapping out on me (singer 237), it's not keeping the speed the longer i sew. i noticed that there is a singer 2250 tradition on sale in target this week for $69. does anyone have it? i can't find any reviews on it, i don't need anything fancy, the 237 didn't have much but zig-zag and how tight the stitches are (i don't know technical terms). i figure the tradition will give me a nice easy machine to work with, and a spare to keep around incase the 237 craps out fully. thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, DIY hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Stormcrow's quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just got a Janome threadbanger td12. A very nice machine for the money. Very well built too.
    I prefer to LEVITATE between two trees...The Groundlings can have their tents.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Ray, you'll get better answers from the pros here but the 237 looks like a decent machine -- metal gears? Have you actually used it enough to start wearing out the parts, or would some cleaning and oil perk it up? That's important, especially if you use it a lot. I've got a Singer T&S that needed a little TLC, but it's been running well now that I'm keeping up with the preventive maintenance.

As to the newer machines, I can't say much to help you.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Frawg; 02-12-2010 at 14:48.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Amen to that, Frawg. Read the manual. Get the manual if you don't already have it. Clean the machine. Lube the machine. Like Frawg said, if it's all metal gears, it's worth it. If it's got plastic gears, that's more of a judgement call. I've replaced plastic gears and re-timed the machine before, and it's not that hard (to me). The thing is, if your machine is slowing down because it's not been maintained, buying another machine is not the answer. That's like running your car without changing the oil and then buying another one when the engine seizes.

EDIT: I just looked up the 237. No plastic gears, solid machine. I just changed my mind. You should dump this old anchor and buy something new. You should just give it away. To me. I don't live that far from you. Keep your eyes on my avatar...obey the hypnotoad....
    Last edited by pedro; 02-12-2010 at 13:50.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    what they said..and obey the hypnotoad.

Give it a good cleaning, apply the right amount of oil to the right spots, throw in a new needle. If you don't know how ask, we can walk you thru it or check google or youtube for cleaning and maintaining your machine. Lots of good advice in earlier threads here too, do a search here on the forum.
    My machine starts to bog down if its not oiled up regularly. Sounds like you might be having the same problemo.

obey the hypnogargoyle! gotta get me a new animated avatar....
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip
    well, with that call, i'lll see about some oil and a manuel. i just love the machine because it's a beast. and felt bad just pushing it off, that's why i was so indecisive in my original post. or at least in my thoughts while i was posting i was. does anyone know what oil i can use, or should i buy sewing machine oil?

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Here's a SewUSA page that'll get you started. I'd pick up some sewing machine oil from Jo-Ann or other sewing store. Also some lube for the gears; you don't oil them.

Here's one source for a $10 Service & Repair manual. Finding free downloadable manuals has been hit & miss for me.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Marmot Trestles 15
    Suspension
    DIY w/ Dutch clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    Here's a SewUSA page that'll get you started. I'd pick up some sewing machine oil from Jo-Ann or other sewing store. Also some lube for the gears; you don't oil them.

Here's one source for a $10 Service & Repair manual. Finding free downloadable manuals has been hit & miss for me.
    wow, thanks! that's really helpful! i just finished my DIY tarp, but since i have pieces of red ripstop and lint all over it's time for a clean.

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    When I was a sailmaker we used to do cleaning and oiling sometimes up to twice a day. Depended on the machine. Each sewing station had a compressed air line for two reasons. One was for a needle cooler and the other was a cleaning line. Really makes cleanup simple. Blow it off good!

Also, make sure that the belt isn't too tight. Some people try to overtighten older belts to keep them working and eventually the motor hates it.

• + New Posts