Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    kitsapcowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Kitsap County, WA
    Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    3,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Muchisimas gracias, K!
    De nada. Yours is the coolest and best thought-out DIY backpack project I've ever seen. I want to emulate it once I dial in my own specs -- ideally using some of Dutch's sweet new fabrics.

    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

  2. #12
    Two Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    182
    Dutch, any chance you will make a tutorial for pack making similar to the winter tarp on makeyourgear?

  3. #13
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    9,003
    Images
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Dutch, any chance you will make a tutorial for pack making similar to the winter tarp on makeyourgear?
    There is a very good chance of it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

    www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

  4. #14
    Two Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    There is a very good chance of it.
    Ah sounds like a good next DIY project for me. Awesome to see you getting some top of the line materials for people to give a go at DIY pack making with "the right stuff".

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    377
    Would you talk about the relative advantages and disadvantages of each? I have used the dyneema 210 and really love it, but would I like one of the others even more? How do I choose?

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Union, WA
    Posts
    714
    Images
    2
    The Litesmith LS07 weight is listed at 3.5 grams per square yard on Dutch's site (one could dream...). What is the actual weight?

  7. #17
    DutchWare Gear atrane21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Posts
    1,108
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    The Litesmith LS07 weight is listed at 3.5 grams per square yard on Dutch's site (one could dream...). What is the actual weight?
    That Liteskin LS07 does come in at 3.5 grams per square yard. That information is correct.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Valpo, IN
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by atrane21 View Post
    That Liteskin LS07 does come in at 3.5 grams per square yard. That information is correct.
    Alex- I think you've got your numbers right, just not yer words.

    3.5 ounces per sq yard sounds about right.

    A competitor of yers lists 3.4. (below) I've seen 115 GSM listed as well on BPL threads.

    "#1170 Style LS07
    Ultra-Light Lite Skin X-Pac. WT/SQ YD = 3.4 oz. LS07 is X-pac's lightest waterproof, abrasion resistant pack fabric. Very thin and flexible, it is ideal for day packs and long runs. An extra layer of backing fabric may be needed to hold bar-tacking and daisy-chain webbing."


    3.5g SY would be .123 ounces and the odds of that being 1/7th the weight of argon 67 are not good... but I'll take some if that is the case

    All gets tricky at times with the metric stuff...
    If I recall correctly-
    .83 SQyds to 1 SQm
    and I use 28.5g per ounce.

    If it is 115gsm... I come up with 3.349 ounces per yard by those rough numbers.

    Dimension Polyant is even worse than Cuben in terms of horrible model numbers, names, and easily searchable specs.

    I think this is the Liteskin flyer- http://www.dimension-polyant.com/en/...ite_Skin_E.pdf

    But if I recall correctly they have separate product names and numbers for retail outlets and non-sailing variants.
    DP fabrics are a headache I'm not well versed in...

  9. #19
    DutchWare Gear atrane21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Posts
    1,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Alex- I think you've got your numbers right, just not yer words.

    3.5 ounces per sq yard sounds about right.

    A competitor of yers lists 3.4. (below) I've seen 115 GSM listed as well on BPL threads.

    "#1170 Style LS07
    Ultra-Light Lite Skin X-Pac. WT/SQ YD = 3.4 oz. LS07 is X-pac's lightest waterproof, abrasion resistant pack fabric. Very thin and flexible, it is ideal for day packs and long runs. An extra layer of backing fabric may be needed to hold bar-tacking and daisy-chain webbing."


    3.5g SY would be .123 ounces and the odds of that being 1/7th the weight of argon 67 are not good... but I'll take some if that is the case

    All gets tricky at times with the metric stuff...
    If I recall correctly-
    .83 SQyds to 1 SQm
    and I use 28.5g per ounce.

    If it is 115gsm... I come up with 3.349 ounces per yard by those rough numbers.

    Dimension Polyant is even worse than Cuben in terms of horrible model numbers, names, and easily searchable specs.

    I think this is the Liteskin flyer- http://www.dimension-polyant.com/en/...ite_Skin_E.pdf

    But if I recall correctly they have separate product names and numbers for retail outlets and non-sailing variants.
    DP fabrics are a headache I'm not well versed in...
    Thanks for that catch.. Haha. That should've said ounces not grams.

    Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

  10. #20
    kitsapcowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Kitsap County, WA
    Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    3,586
    Quote Originally Posted by atrane21 View Post
    That Liteskin LS07 does come in at 3.5 grams per square yard. That information is correct.
    That would make it significantly lighter than the lightest Dyneema (Cuben Fiber), equivalent to 0.12 oz per sq yd at a significantly better pricepoint, if that weight is correct. I can't wrap my brain around how that is even possible in a pack fabric.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-19-2018 at 13:29.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 14:25
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2016, 17:13
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-31-2016, 16:29
  4. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-06-2015, 12:42
  5. Interesting New Fabric Find: Bamboo Fabric
    By headchange4u in forum Fabrics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 09:36

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •