Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hammock Gear Econ series

Hi all, I have been lurking for a few weeks here as I am getting a hunting/hiking base camp set up for some adventure this fall.
    I just purchased an NX-250 and am now looking to some add-ons. I see the difference in type of down and weight but the trade off on price for the Econ series seems like a no brainer to me. But, again, I am a newbie to this. So can anyone tell me what I am missing or is the Econ series a good way to go?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    If you are a car camper, short distance hiker, or penny pincher, go Econ. They are great quilts. If you plan to hike major mileage, ounces add up and you should consider the lighter alternative. Having said that, many folks are eating a few ounces for the price difference.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Hammock Gear Econ series

From what i understand, the only difference is what you've already talked about, which is weight. If that small weight difference isnt important to you, go ahead and get the Econ series. I have a set of regular HG quilts but i think im going to for the Econ series for my next set of quilts. The price is just too good to pass up.

Hammock
    Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    From Hammock Gear web site "The main difference between the Standard and Econ quilts will be the weight, due to a couple of changes. The first change is that we use Ion fabric (20 denier) on our Econ quilts versus the Argon 67 (10 denier) and Argon 90 (15 denier) fabric we use on our standard quilts. The last difference between the two is that we use 800 DWR Duck Down on the Econ quilts versus the 850 DWR Goose Down used on the standard model quilts. The difference in weight ends up being approximately 4-5 ounces heavier for the Econ quilts, depending on the model. The Econ quilts will still fit in the same stuff sacks that the standard version does, but they will be a little bit more snug."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx
    I would say the Econ Series is a good way to go. If you order and receive the Econ Series you will think "these are awesome!"
    Might a more expensive quilt be "more awesome"? Possibly, but you'll never know the difference.

@coffeeman I saw this on their site. But being brand new, I can only spot the numerical differences at this point. I dont actually have any experience in knowing the difference in the fabrics and how different down types affect the bag.

Awesome info all around guys. I think for the few ounces, at this point, I am going with the Econ series. Can always change further down the line if I find a need.

That was my struggle, is seeing $300-500 price tags for a couple of ounces, with no experience I didnt think I could justify that large of a jump. Seems like you guys have reaffirmed that thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Man View Post
    From Hammock Gear web site "The main difference between the Standard and Econ quilts will be the weight, due to a couple of changes. The first change is that we use Ion fabric (20 denier) on our Econ quilts versus the Argon 67 (10 denier) and Argon 90 (15 denier) fabric we use on our standard quilts. The last difference between the two is that we use 800 DWR Duck Down on the Econ quilts versus the 850 DWR Goose Down used on the standard model quilts. The difference in weight ends up being approximately 4-5 ounces heavier for the Econ quilts, depending on the model. The Econ quilts will still fit in the same stuff sacks that the standard version does, but they will be a little bit more snug."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I don't like the idea of stuffing a quilt tighter than it already is. Whether it be in a sack or at the bottom of a backpack. To get the same volume that is.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I have a standard incubator and an econ burrow. The argon fabric that is used on the goose down quilts feel nicer than the ion fabric on he econ line. However, it doesn't mean the ion fabric is bad at all. If you never had the two to compare you wouldn't care.
    If you plan to use your quilts for thru hiking, want to have the lightest gear, prefer colors not available on the econ quilts, or have money to burn, then you want to get the goose down ones. The econ line should be suitable for most your needs

Hammock
    Sparrow (DH)
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have an Econ and it rocks! I don't think you will missing anything but an once or two. Get one!
    Rick...

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I did 5 days and 73 miles with the Econ. So happy with it that I bought a second one. Only way I can really get all the quilts that I want.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast