Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamba Jamba
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

A little help picking the right hammock !

Hey all. Just looking for a little advice on choosing between the Darien or the Thunder bird. Minus the removable bug net and top cover are they essentially the same Hammock? I am currently using the WBBB 1.7 double layer. Love the hammock but trying to lighten the load if you will. I'm thinking 1.6 single layer. Looking to pull the trigger soon. Does anyone have opinions or advice on choosing either model?

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles
    I have a Thunderbird, and at first very much liked it. After using it a few times however I came to dislike the placement of the closed zipper all the way at the "head" end of the hammock. I always had to stretch and move around a lot to get it unzipped. I recently bought a Dutchware Chameleon because of the movable zippers. Looks like the Darien has a zipper that can be closed in the center of the hammock; if it was between those two I'd get the Darien.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by RMC0109 View Post
    I have a Thunderbird, and at first very much liked it. After using it a few times however I came to dislike the placement of the closed zipper all the way at the "head" end of the hammock. I always had to stretch and move around a lot to get it unzipped. I recently bought a Dutchware Chameleon because of the movable zippers. Looks like the Darien has a zipper that can be closed in the center of the hammock; if it was between those two I'd get the Darien.
    you can get dream hammock to add an extra zipper pull so they meet in the middle, that's what I did with my dangerbird
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamba Jamba
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Thanks for the advice. Being that I'm only 5'5 I think the stretch to zip all the way up might be a bit much.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamba Jamba
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Awesome thanks for the advice..

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I love a Dariens weight, but like a zipper on both sides. As stated, don't like the zipper all the way to the head of a Thunderbird. Both great hammocks and certainly have a place. My dilemma always boils down to Sparrow, Dangerbird, or Raven. Love the Sparrow and for a premium hammock, it's hard to beat. I love the design of the Dangerbird, but once you add the extra zippers you almost have a Sparrow. I'm leaning toward a Raven right now myself. Great design, simple, and a wonderful lightweight option! Best of luck! Let us know what route you go (and pics would be great later)!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I would check with the Smurfs (Randy & Deanna) at Dream Hammocks to be certain, but I am confident most of the DH hammocks now have double zipper slides per side versus the single zipper slide or single side/single slide on the Darien.

I know this for certain on the Raven and Sparrow as I just order a DL Raven and then discovered the Sparrow now comes with a symmetrical top cover/net version (the Thunderbird and Dangerbird also), so I ordered that instead. I previously owned a single slide SL Raven and it really wasn't an overwhelming problem anyway. I am pleasantly ambidextrous and like the opportunity to shift around or get in anyway I want to in the symmetrical hammocks.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    My Darien #6235 has a double-slide zipper. Also on the right side with a left lay (head right-feet left) which I prefer, and of course getting in/out on the right side.

I also have a Chameleon and find that I use only the right zipper, so if it weren't for the removable/flippable cover and bug net I would be happy with a right-side-only zipper there — and asymm lay! — as well.

With either of them, I have to make sure when getting in that the zipper pulls (especially at the foot end) aren't too far away so I can reach them to close them. Not really a problem at the head end, at least not for me.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    If you're going to do a lot of winter camping and it's cold where you're at, then the Thunderbird has the edge, if not, I'd definitely go with the Darien and ask him to add zippers on both sides so you can open either side in the middle. Makes adjusting UQ's a breeze. I love my Darien!

Gideon

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast