1.1 vs. 1.7 oz Blackbird

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have, however, been lurking for quite some time now. I am thinking about making the jump to a hammock and am considering the Blackbird due to all of the positive things I have read. My question is: the 1.1 oz is rated to 250 lbs. while the 1.7 is rated to 300. I am tipping the scales at 250-255 lbs. and am 6'2''.

Brandon says, "The fabric can hold more than you’d want to put in there, meaning that before capacity is reached you’ll start to experience a good deal of stretch, which will decrease flatness (both head-toe and shoulder to shoulder). If you’re concerned about packweight, use the weight limit rating to make your choice, if packweight isn’t much concern use the max flatness rating instead".

I am concerned about packweight (I am already taking quite a hit considering my other option would be a Tarptent Contrail weighing in at 24.5 oz!! but I think I am willing to sacrifice some weight for the anticipated comfort that everyone talks about with the BB), but I am also concerned with the "max flatness" issue.

Bottom line - I am pushing the weight limit of the 1.1 oz BB. Will I be better off sacrificing some shoulder and head room for the lower packable weight of the 1.1 oz (31.25 oz), or should I take the added 9 ounces added to my packweight for some additional head and shoulder room and go with the 1.7 oz (40 oz)?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. With the weights of the BB your indicating your talking about the double layer BB's. You might want to mention that in your post just for clarification. Unfortunately i can't give you any advise on your choice but if it was me i'd pop for the DL 1.7. Brandon and others should be able to advise you better. I have the DL 1.1 and love it.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i just ordered the 1.1 double layer. i figure that i'll only end up getting heavier as i get older.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    1.7 DL will be just right for you according to Brandon's specs on his site.

Whats a few more ounces if you get a goodnights sleep? GL in your decision Brandon makes one of most comfortable hammocks ive slept in.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome! -I've got the 1.1 double-layer; I weigh (roughly) 175-180-ish. I figure that gives me 65-70 lbs. of "growth" before I need to think about a 1.7 DL.

I tend to allow for a lot of "play" in my specs, so if I was around your weight, I would look at a 1.7 DL to be on the safe side.

But that's the way I think. It always comes down to personal preference/choice. All of the applicable caveats app, such as "YMMV".
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You are a little heavier than me, but not too much.

I have both at my house (1.1 double and 1.7 double). I've slept in the double 1.1 a number of times (it's actually my girlfriend's) and found it perfectly acceptable, but not as comfortable as my double 1.7. However, the difference is fairly minor and I can only really notice a difference when I have the two strung-up at the same time and switch between the two. I also have a single layer 1.7 Traveler, which Brandon lists as have a "max comfort" weight of only 190 (less than that of the double 1.1 Blackbird). That's always confused me because I'm exceptionally comfortable in my single layer 1.7 Traveler.

The issue at work is the fabric stretching, so Brandon can only give ratings as a very general marker because everybody is a little bit more or less comfortable when the fabric stretches. This brings us to where threads like this usually get the following advice, "Find someone in your area that has what you're thinking about and try it". Great advice, but sometimes difficult to follow unless you are lucky enough to live near someone willing to let you play with their Blackbird.

Are you doing a long hike? If you're going to be out a month or longer I would push you towards the double layer 1.7 for its unrivaled comfort. If you are doing stretches less than that and you really want your pack weight to stay low, then a double layer 1.1 or even a single layer 1.7 will serve you very well.

As always, JMO.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a 1.1/1.7 double layer. My weight is about 195 and I sleep very comfortable in it. I have never tried a 1.1 double, maybe at the Hoosier hang someone will have one for me to try. It weighs a few oz less then the double 1.7. If possible, you can hold off and make the Hoosier hang and try a few styles out. If no one else goes with me you are welcome to use my Hennessy hammock on the trip and make a decision after that. Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by -Pz View Post
    Hello, I am new to the forum. I have, however, been lurking for quite some time now. I am thinking about making the jump to a hammock and am considering the Blackbird due to all of the positive things I have read. My question is: the 1.1 oz is rated to 250 lbs. while the 1.7 is rated to 300. I am tipping the scales at 250-255 lbs. and am 6'2''.

Brandon says, "The fabric can hold more than you’d want to put in there, meaning that before capacity is reached you’ll start to experience a good deal of stretch, which will decrease flatness (both head-toe and shoulder to shoulder). If you’re concerned about packweight, use the weight limit rating to make your choice, if packweight isn’t much concern use the max flatness rating instead".

I am concerned about packweight (I am already taking quite a hit considering my other option would be a Tarptent Contrail weighing in at 24.5 oz!! but I think I am willing to sacrifice some weight for the anticipated comfort that everyone talks about with the BB), but I am also concerned with the "max flatness" issue.

Bottom line - I am pushing the weight limit of the 1.1 oz BB. Will I be better off sacrificing some shoulder and head room for the lower packable weight of the 1.1 oz (31.25 oz), or should I take the added 9 ounces added to my packweight for some additional head and shoulder room and go with the 1.7 oz (40 oz)?
    I'm 6'6", 247 lbs and I have a double 1.7... When I ordered it from Brandon I weighed in at 300 lbs, and it was very comfortable even at that weight. Now I'm lighter, but really do appreciate the extra shoulder room in the double 1.7...

As far as the 9 oz difference, I made up for that by getting a Speer TopBlanket rather than using a full sleeping bag for my top quilt...

Hope this helps!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I just ended up going with the 1.1 Double layer. I weigh about 212 but, I wanted the double layer so that I could possibly put a pad under it when needed. The weight it can handle is about 38 pounds more then mine but I just wanted to be sure and comfortable and the little extra ounces it brings doesn't worry me at all... being an ultralight backpacker, yet practical!.... Makes sense to me.
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

• + New Posts