WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps

Spring Break trip to see Redwoods - Seeking tips

I am taking the family on a trip to see the redwood forests of Northern California this spring. It appears that Humbolt, Prairie Creek and Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Parks as well as Redwoods NP are the "can't miss" sites we'll be visiting. I will be limited on how much of my camping gear I can bring. (Need to know if I can hang in California)

1) Redwood NP specifies no hammocks. Is hammock camping allowed in the State parks?
    2) Will the ground be too wet or the bugs, snakes or critters be too much to allow me to use just my tarps? (lighter and smaller than my backpacking tents)
    3) Flying into and out of San Francisco, any hikes or sites I should include on my itinerary?

Thanks
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WBBB, Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/ WBSF
    Insulation
    HG, JrB
    I used my hammock in the Jedidiah Smith park before, so that should be ok. The Shasta wilderness isn't far and beautiful areas to explore.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Lots of fog in the redwood areas, and rain fairly regular early spring. Each park has its own hammock rules, so you need to check. Tarp has always worked for me. Don't worry about bugs and snakes other than about mosquitos. Rattlesnakes when walking, but they're fairly rare--just leave 'em alone. Bears around, so store food where they can't get it and not around you. In that area, watch out for Bigfoot. Beautiful part of the state--when driving up there, take the Avenue of the Giants. And spend some time on the coast--its beautiful.
    CMFSAT

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Thanks for the tips. Shasta Wilderness/Trinity Alps area is high on the wish list but there are so many places we want to see I am unsure how to squeeze it all in to one week. I have a long lost friend in Redding so if we reconnect this trip it might set up nicely for and extentend visit to the area next year.

Also, comforting to know that tarping will work even in the rainy, foggy forests. I can justify bringing a pad, just in case I can't hang but, couldn't justify biringing complete tent and hammock set-ups given the baggage fees that accompany my cheap airfare.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Hello from Garberville California, Rules and regulations really depend on what Campground you go to,. the bigger more touristy ones have a lot more Rangers on duty. But most of them don't know the regulations anyways so it really depends on what Ranger your run into. So far I've never been told I couldn't use a hammock but I'm usually backpacking out in the middle of nowhere. But please don't try to hang on a redwood, even with 2-inch straps the bark is so soft you're going to tear it up really bad. Also be prepared for a lot of closures,especially in late winter time. a lot of our Parks have been closed down from lack of funding even though were are the most heavily taxed state in America lol. That shouldn't be a problem if you stick with the bigger more popular parks though. Have fun and I apologize in advance for all the panhandler's and druggies.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Images
    Having just left the Redwoods, Jedidiah Smith requests on their brochure no hammocks. (But like said, sometimes ya just can do what you need to do) But they have an excellent park with nice showers. I think next time I'll stay someplace free and use the facilities. Oh and bring lots of quarters, the showers need them to run. Campsites are $35. Lol, with the fee and quarters, I paid $40 for a shower. Don't bother with Patricks Point, the facilities are cruddy for the price. The ocean view is Awesome though. Definitely bring tarps, I wish I'd brought a larger one.
    Free parking/camping at Little Bald Hills down the road, but no facilities.
    Watch out any unatended food, the animals will steal it right off your grill or skillet.
    Any more questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Thanks for the insight. I'll certainly touch base with you guys if any specific questions pop up during our planning.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Hey all, thanks again for your tips and suggestions. Ultimately, we left the hammocks home due to limited luggage alottment by the airlines. Probably for the best as none of our campsites were favorable to hammocks. We rented a Camper Van with a roof-top pop-up tent and took small back-packing tent. That combo gave us the flexibility to camp everywhere from the beach to the woods.

All I can say is WOW! California is really spectacular. Drove Hwy 1 from Bodega Bay North to 101, camping 1 night along the Albion River. Spent a night each at Humbolt, Prairie Creek and Jedidiah Smith Redwoods State Parks and squeezed in 2 nights at Yosemite NP before our flight back to Minnesota and 14*F weather. Spring weather in CA was great execpt for our last day which provided heaviest 1-day rain total in the last 150 years causing the closure of Yosemite valley and mandadory evacuation.

We squeezed a lot of awe-inspiring hikes in to one week but, left much to be seen on another visit. Can't wait until we can get back there.

Thanks Again,
    Dave

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sounds awesome but you know the rules, Pictures or it didn't happen.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    Glad you had a good time:<) 20170909_194444.jpg being born and raised here I guess I take a lot of it for granted, but we definitely got some beautiful scenery around here.if you stay away from the small local towns;<)
    Last edited by Carrico; 04-08-2018 at 22:50.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast