WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps

Adding to suspension length for big trees

I bought my first real hammock during the holidays and have been out a few times. One issue I run across are big trees, very common in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Very common to find 4 and 5 foot diameter trees. As you can imagine that can quickly take up most of your suspension length. I have the warbonnet xlc and I think the straps are 13 or 15 ft I can't remember. So I guess the question is what is the best way to add to the length of a suspension system webbing specifically.?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangdang View Post
    I bought my first real hammock during the holidays and have been out a few times. One issue I run across are big trees, very common in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

Very common to find 4 and 5 foot diameter trees. As you can imagine that can quickly take up most of your suspension length. I have the warbonnet xlc and I think the straps are 13 or 15 ft I can't remember. So I guess the question is what is the best way to add to the length of a suspension system webbing specifically.?
    A strap big enough to get around the biggest tree, and then a whoopie sling to give some adjustable length between tree and hammock.

Two popular ways to attach the strap to the whoopie are via a marlin-spike hitch or a becket hitch.

Search for amsteel dogbones. That's one of the easiest and lightest ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    A strap big enough to get around the biggest tree, and then a whoopie sling to give some adjustable length between tree and hammock.

Two popular ways to attach the strap to the whoopie are via a marlin-spike hitch or a becket hitch.
    That's how i do it.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    Very obvious solution-longer straps or a PAIR of smaller ones for each end

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 0°
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post

I thought a little bit about whoopie slings but I weigh about 250 and am a little apprehensive. Can they be trusted for bigger guys?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangdang View Post
    I thought a little bit about whoopie slings but I weigh about 250 and am a little apprehensive. Can they be trusted for bigger guys?
    Quick answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, we have been making whoopies for sale longer than anyone else out there and we have hung 400 pound plus guys from ours. I have hung my wife and me along with a kiddo...that will get you over 400 pounds. 250 is on the lightweight side of things. As long as the slings are properly made you will have no problem with them.

Secondary answer: To keep using the buckles you could just get some longer straps custom made. We make straps regularly out to 20 foot and sometimes even longer for folks on the west coast. Bigger trees are pretty common up and down the west side and from white pines, to ponderosas to redwoods we have large trees out here and stock straps are often not long enough. We recently did a pair of straps that were 30 foot long on each side.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by buds007 View Post
    Search for amsteel dogbones. That's one of the easiest and lightest ways.
    Yes, as my fellow Washingtonian has pointed out so astutely (since we have big trees here too), bring along a set of 7/64" Amsteel dog bones as part of your suspension kit, perhaps a 24" and a 36". They don't weigh much at all, but they can go at the end of your suspension webbing so that they wrap around the front of the tree (nearest the hammock) where the forces cutting into the bark are relatively minimal. You can double or treble either dog bone to get the length of the extension dialed in., and you'll have the ability to extend the strap on one end or both. This simple solution is much cheaper and lighter than buying a whole new set of tree straps for your webbing or buying an add-on set of huggers to extend the webbing you have.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Quick answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, we have been making whoopies for sale longer than anyone else out there and we have hung 400 pound plus guys from ours. I have hung my wife and me along with a kiddo...that will get you over 400 pounds. 250 is on the lightweight side of things. As long as the slings are properly made you will have no problem with them.
    Can confirm. I go 240 on a good day and have never had a problem with my 7/64" whoopies over years of hanging. Just remember to watch the suspension angle. My guess is that hammock will fail before the whoopie breaks.
    Last edited by Grumpy Squatch; 02-20-2018 at 12:38. Reason: Fat fingered 7/16 whoopies instead of 7/64
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    Can confirm. I go 240 on a good day and have never had a problem with my 7/16" whoopies over years of hanging. Just remember to watch the suspension angle. My guess is that hammock will fail before the whoopie breaks.
    Those are some mondo whoopies!

But even around here, in the land of not-so-big trees, I carry a 6' dog bone just in case. I've had to use it once.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast