Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using a topquilt with a windshield reflector.

Since I started hammock camping a little over a year ago my go to sleep system has been a sleeping bag with a car windshield reflector pad. This has worked extremely well for me below freezing temperatures and when I’ve gone to ground (I like to have the option and it will no doubt be a necessity at some point during my cross-Canada canoe trip this summer).

The only problem is I’ve recently become a proud owner of a beautiful Loco Libre topquilt and I didn’t get it quite long enough to go all the way around me for temperatures where I want a tad more insulation beneath me. Any ideas would be welcome!

(I posted this yesterday but it didn’t seem to show up so please let me know if it’s a duplicate!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    For a trip like that I'd just go ahead and bite for one of the econ line UQs... less bulk and WARM!
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    For a trip like that I'd just go ahead and bite for one of the econ line UQs... less bulk and WARM!
    I know that would make a lot of sense, but I really do want to be able to go to ground. There’s portions of the trip in western Alberta with very few trees, as well as some extremely populated sections along the Ottawa River where the possibility is quite high. :/

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kendra.b View Post
    I know that would make a lot of sense, but I really do want to be able to go to ground. There’s portions of the trip in western Alberta with very few trees, as well as some extremely populated sections along the Ottawa River where the possibility is quite high. :/

In that case it may be wise to bring the sleeping bag instead of the TQ.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    If your top quilt isn't quite the right size for your needs you might consider purchasing a different one. You could probably sell your current one without too much of a loss. There are some quilts that are made with a center zip to convert to either a top quilt or a bag.
    And a question. Are you using a windshield reflector as your only bottom insulation? That's impressive if you are able to go below freezing temps with only that. On the ground is the reflector your only padding?
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    If your top quilt isn't quite the right size for your needs you might consider purchasing a different one. You could probably sell your current one without too much of a loss. There are some quilts that are made with a center zip to convert to either a top quilt or a bag.
    And a question. Are you using a windshield reflector as your only bottom insulation? That's impressive if you are able to go below freezing temps with only that. On the ground is the reflector your only padding?
    I was using just the reflector around -2 Celsius, yes. I had two sleeping bags, one inside the other. We weren’t expecting temperatures to go so low! I was chilly, but it was an all-over chilly, my bottom wasn’t any colder than the rest of me! That honestly sold me on using the reflector.

On the ground that has been my only padding, yes.

I’m lucky, I tend to be able to sleep hot and pretty much anywhere.

Right now I’m actually thinking I might try using an inflatable pad, plus adding a Mylar sheet or something similar when temps are really cold.

Hm, we’ll see.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I use an inflatable pad in my bridge hammock. Very comfortable both in the hammock and on the ground. Much heavier than a windshield reflector though. I do carry a small piece of windshield reflector though for a sit pad or cooking windscreen if needed. It just would not be enough padding for my old bones if used as bottom insulation on the ground
    Sleeping bags as top insulation seems to get a bad rap here (compared to top quilts). The theory that the bottom side insulation is just wasted weight since it gets compressed and gives no warmth makes the sleeping bags less popular. Even though they may be a little more difficult to enter and exit I like the added warmth of being fully enclosed in the bag.
    If I were in the market for new top insulation I would look very closely at the EE Revelation (there may be others like it as well).
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB. KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What about something like a summer sock or under quilt protector? That would help in the hammock anyway.

My other suggestion would be (as you posted) using an inflatable pad, or a thin CCF pad. Bulk probably isn’t too much of a concern in a canoe.

BTW, I think I’d like to hear more about the “cross-Canada canoe” excursion...sounds pretty epic!!!

"You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Hall View Post
    What about something like a summer sock or under quilt protector? That would help in the hammock anyway.

My other suggestion would be (as you posted) using an inflatable pad, or a thin CCF pad. Bulk probably isn’t too much of a concern in a canoe.

BTW, I think I’d like to hear more about the “cross-Canada canoe” excursion...sounds pretty epic!!!

I hadn’t thought of a sock/protector, I’ll check that out!

The trip info can be found on our website www.bywaybabes.com (it’s a little out of date, we’ve been very busy! Links to our social media can be found there, which we post to regularly).

Myself and two friends are canoeing from Vancouver to St. John (NB) to raise awareness for Cystic Fibrosis, which afflicts my friend Claire, one of our paddlers.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Woo!! I was just going to ask about the trip -- I've got your website bookmarked and can't wait to follow your travels from my home in Michigan! (and congrats on choosing a Wenonah canoe -- just the best! I've had a Spirit II for 15? years and absolutely love it)

EDIT: hope you decided on the ultralight version -- it is tough!
    Last edited by P-Dub; 02-22-2018 at 12:42.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast