So with the "unexpected" (what do we pay weathermen for anyway) snow last night, I ran out to setup my tarp to see how it would handle it. This is what we had when I finished staking it out
here's what we had about 2 hours and 3" - 4" later
This tarp has tie out laces that are stitched on with a bit of webbing on the underside for reinforcement which is pretty good for most purposes at a $40 price point (and quick availability). It's a Campmor
At roughly 1/4" - 1/2" of snow the far ridge line tie out ripped off. I ended up putting a full ridge line under the tarp to try see further results. The tarp managed to survive the night but just look at that sag! I'm glad I was testing this at home and not out in the bush. Good lessons learned. I now need to get some reinforcing panels stitched to the primary tie out points.