DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    I believe, to quote another HF member, that in these conditions one needs to pitch the tarp like a steeple not a ranch house and not go to ground with it. This allows the snow to slough off and build a snow wall around you. I use a full length, under the tarp, ridge-line (Spyder line) really wrenched tight to minimize sag. The Spyder line is a little heavy but you can really get a bite on it to make it taut.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Sorry about the tarp, dude.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Sorry to say this, but IMO Campmor tarps aren't very good. Mine did the same thing in high winds, before attaching some shockcord to the grommets. I sent the tarp back and Campmor refunded my money. My MacCat Deluxe has never given me any trouble nor did the Integral Designs Sil-Tarp I use to have. MacCat makes a great tarp.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I agree ----------the maccat is an awesome tarp--------last fall I was in very high winds, and due to the way it was set up, it was hitting me broadside. (actually pushing my hammock over to the other side) Not only did the maccat not flap in the wind, it suffered no damage at all. (and the price is pretty good----excellent quality!) I havnt tried it in snow, but Im sure it would do just fine!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I have full confidence in my OES tarp, but after the snow 2 weekends ago (@ Mt Rogers) the thought I had was to put a thin (Masons cord?) ridgeline on the underside of my tarp, "just because". Now, even though I feel my OES is a much higher quality that what Campmor sells, I am pretty sure the ridgeline is going on with the thought: "Why chance it?"
    I woke Saturday 2 weeks ago with my tarp resting on my hammock ridgeline. The tarp was not damaged, still,,,,,,,,
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good idea to put a full ridge line up in winter conditions. I never thought of it.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I would think that a stretchy nylon ridgeline would be of minimal value. Like having none at all, actually.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    While ground dwelling, I have awakened- while sleeping in the middle with folks on each side of me- to find a tarp touching my face. Then to realize rain had turned to 4 or 5" of snow. I pushed it off of my face, and then it more or less snapped back into place. Point being, it is probably a good idea when it is snowing- if you wake during the night to turn over or pee- just push the tarp up enough for the snow to slide off to the ground. Plus, steep pitches might help.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I'm sure the cottage tarps (OES, Speer, Warbonnet, JRB, etc) are better than a Campmor tarp for hammock camping. I really like my Speer Winter Tarp and HH large hex. But I have to say I have a Campmor 8x10 coated nylon tarp (read: not sil, not extremely light) under which I have slept many nights on the ground (pre-hammock) and hanging. It's been around for 6 or 8 years and is still in good shape. My son deemed it his a couple of years ago. I've only had it in a little snow but it's been in PLENTY of rain and a 7 hour sleet storm without incident.

A lot has to do with how you pitch it and remembering that it is nylon and it does stretch. From experience, the Speer Winter Tarp did just what the pictures in the first post showed in several inches of snow even though it was pitched fairly steep and 8" off the ground. Tapping the tarp as snow starts to accumulate on it certainly does help as long as there is room at the bottom for it to slide off. I am experimenting with a separate ridgeline but so far have only tried it over the tarp. I am using braided polyester to try to avoid stretch in the ridgeline. One problem I am working on is pitching steep enough to shed snow but still have enough room inside to not touch the tarp when getting in and out of the hammock. I am considering a pole but would like to not have to carry it...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    That's a good reminder that the tarp is often the most important piece of gear we carry with regards to 'shelter'.
    I totally agree. I basically view the tarp as my shelter and the hammock as my suspended sleeping bag. Insulation sold separately.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast