Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    DW Beetle-Buckles
    I'm happy just to see that Sector Seven remains secure...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    I'm getting sold on the Thunderfly more and more. Your review sold it for me.
    Glad you got a chance to see the two tarps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinestraw View Post
    I'm happy just to see that Sector Seven remains secure...
    Yes...locked down like a prison on a full moon.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB
    I've been testing the Minifly by hanging it out in my backyard during the recent Monsoon. It has been out three rain cycles. I didn't sleep in it overnight, but too naps in it, so I didn't guard or fix things. The rain was heavy, but the wind was moderate.

My overall impression is that the Minfly is a little short to handle heavy rains. The bottom of my Slacker Super Snuggler was damp. This Thermarest quilt can handle it and would keep me warm, but I wouldn't want to be using a down underquilt in such weather. If I brought down the tarp any closer, I might not be able to get into the hammock. I also had some dampness from the suspension or by the doors or both. I think this was easily fixable.

The Thermarest quilt is a little bulkier /heavier than i would want to backpack with and the Superfly is just too big. I like that the Minifly doesn't have tie outs which is why I didn't get Thunderfly. I think that I would be well served by a tarp that is a few inches shorter and a few inches longer. Ah the search ....

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Thanks for the input on the minifly..
    However, there are many variables involved, especially when using a smaller tarp in such situations, simply setting up and staying in the house, imo doesn't represent a realistic evaluation.
    However, there still is very little info available on these new tarps, so we tend to take what we get... lol..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

On the AT I found that any hard rainfall had the bottom of my UQ wet.
    I used an 11’ Hammock Gear Hex tarp.

It always had me a tad worried but it never caused lack of warmth.

I think it’s pretty hard d to avoid unless you’re using something as big as the superfly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, UGQ & LL
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Here's a couple of pics of my hammock and Thunderfly. Very pleased with the Thunderfly - maybe the best general purpose tarp on the market right now?

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

BTW, the photos were taken 1/10/2018 in Cherry, AZ. Unusually warm and dry winter. Low temps were right at 30 degrees.
    Last edited by mattski2112; 03-05-2018 at 00:26.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Beauty of a tarp right there... Thanks for sharing..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I've been looking into a summer tarp, something that's a bit smaller and lighter than my Superfly. As always, great information. Thanks for the share, Shug!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meezer View Post
    I've been testing the Minifly by hanging it out in my backyard during the recent Monsoon. It has been out three rain cycles. I didn't sleep in it overnight, but too naps in it, so I didn't guard or fix things. The rain was heavy, but the wind was moderate.

My overall impression is that the Minfly is a little short to handle heavy rains. The bottom of my Slacker Super Snuggler was damp. This Thermarest quilt can handle it and would keep me warm, but I wouldn't want to be using a down underquilt in such weather. If I brought down the tarp any closer, I might not be able to get into the hammock. I also had some dampness from the suspension or by the doors or both. I think this was easily fixable.

The Thermarest quilt is a little bulkier /heavier than i would want to backpack with and the Superfly is just too big. I like that the Minifly doesn't have tie outs which is why I didn't get Thunderfly. I think that I would be well served by a tarp that is a few inches shorter and a few inches longer. Ah the search ....
    My DIY Blackcrow top has an 11' ridgeline and I have ridden out many a storm and not gotten wet. Three foot sides too.
    Are you using a drip line for rain running in on the suspension for your hammock? Or some sort of water break?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    Thanks for the input on the minifly..
    However, there are many variables involved, especially when using a smaller tarp in such situations, simply setting up and staying in the house, imo doesn't represent a realistic evaluation.
    However, there still is very little info available on these new tarps, so we tend to take what we get... lol..
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    On the AT I found that any hard rainfall had the bottom of my UQ wet.
    I used an 11’ Hammock Gear Hex tarp.

It always had me a tad worried but it never caused lack of warmth.

I think it’s pretty hard d to avoid unless you’re using something as big as the superfly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Could it have just been misty dampness?
    My DIY Blackcrow top has an 11' ridgeline and I have ridden out many a storm and not gotten wet. Three foot sides too.

Quote Originally Posted by mattski2112 View Post
    Here's a couple of pics of my hammock and Thunderfly. Very pleased with the Thunderfly - maybe the best general purpose tarp on the market right now?

BTW, the photos were taken 1/10/2018 in Cherry, AZ. Unusually warm and dry winter. Low temps were right at 30 degrees.
    Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by kelleybdk View Post
    I've been looking into a summer tarp, something that's a bit smaller and lighter than my Superfly. As always, great information. Thanks for the share, Shug!
    One of these could well be it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I’m not sure, it happened during pretty much any heavy rainfall.

Sometimes
    I’d hold my hand under my quilt to see if I could feel splash and occasionally I would. All my gear on the ground would get drenched also.

I wondered often if it was because the tarp was pitched too high.

I saw a few silly nylon tarps with CRLs that were pitched super slow and kinda had a curve to them from being stretched and I tried to pitch like that myself but with a cuben tarp it never really worked for me.

I had to have a straight, taut pitch ideally without my hammock straps rubbing the tarp

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast