SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

MI 4th annual Green Timbers Hang February 2018

One thing holding true to the Green Timbers hang: the weather will be unpredictable. This year’s hang, we were blessed with typical Spring in Michigan weather. Thursday morning showed a low of 14 before climbing up near 30. Recent rain and warm weather had us worried that we’d lose our pulking snow again. Luckily, we lost enough to open the Hare rd. option to alleviate parking concerns and yet enough snow/ice remained to allow easy pulking. I was a late arrival Thursday afternoon as most of the crew was well established around a roaring fire. Food was mainly pork and venison with the odd vegetable or pasta thrown in for balance. The weather remained mostly mild and the weekend was big; big fire, big meals and big fun. In my lackadaisical counting, I’d say 19 5/8 people camped. I write this here without having a single picture to post, mainly to get the thread rolling and allow others to reflect and share their photos and experience of the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I only made it for one overnight but had the best weather of the whole weekend Saturday. Not to mention all the food. A big egg scramble, bagels with ham and cheese for breakfast. Pulled pork, venison stew, potato soup with bacon for lunch, and tamales and pozole for dinner. Add in venison sausage and cheese for snacks and lots and lots of bacon. Wow! And that was just Saturday!! The 25 cup coffee pot was the envy of all and kept us caffeinated for the weekend. Top it off with a big roaring fire and you have the perfect weekend. I had a really great sleep in the hammock and enjoyed everybody's company.

Thanks guys. Hope you come up north again soon.

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    Great trip and had a great time as always. I think I may have an answer on the coffee pot. There is a type of stove called a Chambers that had what they called a thermowell that the pot would have fit in. This pot was made by Wear Ever. https://www.ebay.com/itm/vtg-25-cup-...item2116372a1c

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    Last edited by Christo456; 02-25-2018 at 21:58.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    It was another great weekend.......... plus a few more days in Northern Michigan

Looking forward to doing more in the outdoors

Thanks for a great time
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    After 3 years of failure I finally got an excuse-free window to make it up here. I was really hurting for a solid winter trip, but I can't complain about an early spring trip. 36-42° for highs and 27-33° lows. The rain was mostly overnight but when it lasted a little longer one morning I just relaxed and watched it from under the tarp.

My 0° quilt set was a bit overkill and wished I went with the 20°, but I still slept great...8-10hrs all 3 nights.

The food was insane...even beyond the typical Thanksgiving "I can't eat anymore but I will" situation. Thank you everyone!

It was nice to meet a lot of new people and see the rest of the typical gang again. Sorry if I was a little reclusive in the "cold outer ring" of the fire; the 19-5/8 group was a bit large for me so I just sat back and enjoyed the good times.

At the icy lot

Pulk ready to go

On the trail

She got a little slick. My Kahtoola microspikes were a life-saver as usual.

Porch. Mode.

Waiting out the morning rain with coffee and poptarts

The nearby creek - our water source

My home up on the hill

Day hiking

Sitting around the fire

IMG_6508 by michigan dave, on Flickr

Well, as I write this on my death bed and reflect back over the weekend…Wait, death is probably an overstatement, but I did stay home from work today recovering after another 4 day weekend at the annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang. Thank you to everyone for putting up with my hacking and coughing all weekend and I apologize in advance if I got anyone sick. But, my selfish self was in the mindset of “I’m not missing this for anything”.

This year we had a great turnout and an amazing assortment of food. It was great catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. Thank you to everyone for pitching in around camp, fetching water, getting wood, and making this years event a memorable one.

Ok, I’m trying to keep my long winded and photo heavy trip report short to save room in the cloud for everyone else to add their two cents worth. First of all, here’s a brief rundown of the food that I can remember: Pasta Friday with sausage n peppers, sausage and penne, and meatballs and pasta, Pork Saturday: pulled pork, tamales and pasole. Plus there were additional meals of breakfast casserole, bacon, breakfast sandwiches, venison sausage cooked in bacon grease, venison stew, meatloaf, fruity pebbles krispies, sour cream cookies and a host of other food that will come to me eventually. Also, there was another craft beer tasting and a gallon or two of hot cider. Once a day wood gathering kept the fire stoked and we even hiked up to the old Honeymoon Cabin site to see the view.

It’s always fun getting out and playing with new gear. This year it was a prototype SLD Hot Tent that arrived the night before I left. All I can say, is I enjoyed the full coverage and comfort and I think it’s found a new home in my gear closet.

Note for next year: the 5th Annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang will be the weekend of February 22-25, 2019. Come early to get a parking spot and carpooling is encouraged. Thanks again for everyone who attended and here’s some select photos from the weekend.

Link to my photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHsktLNf6p

IMG_6529 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6459 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6457 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6535 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6502 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6488 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6522 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6483 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6482 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6484 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6509 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6514 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6517 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6448 by michigan dave, on Flickr

IMG_6463 by michigan dave, on Flickr
    Last edited by michigandave; 02-26-2018 at 13:27.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    That undercover DNR team took a great photo. LOL nice photobomb by Mark!

Thanks for the pics Dave. Get feelin' better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Christo456 View Post
    Great trip and had a great time as always. I think I may have an answer on the coffee pot. There is a type of stove called a Chambers that had what they called a thermowell that the pot would have fit in. This pot was made by Wear Ever. https://www.ebay.com/itm/vtg-25-cup-...item2116372a1c
    I never knew they even had stoves like that.Had a great trip guys. The coffee pot is cleaned up and ready to come back next year!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    DIY strap/Whoopies
    Trip was awesome. Glad i was able to make it out again. Looking forward to next year in a hot tent, gonna be constructing one soon!!! after doing some looking up, i have yet to find where i could buy one of those coffee pots but i did find that cabelas makes a large pecolator. Its not as cool but can make a gallon of coffee!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast