WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Amsteel locked brummel splicing question

Is there a way to do a locked brummel with only 1 free end while capturing a loop?

I have 2 webbing loops that i'm connecting via an Amsteel dog bone. The first webbing loop is easy, I just do a locked brummel. For the second webbing loop I've been doing a lock stictch. I'd love to have 2 locked brummels but for the life of me I can't figure a way.

Maybe @opie can chime in?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Yes, in Grogg knot app, Brummel McDonald. You can make a splice without access to other end. I’ve never done that Brummel McDonald.
    If you have a loop splice (long bury splice)on other end,
    You can drag whole loop through second splice and splice just like you did first splice——it will drag through.
    The only reason for doing Brummel McDonald is if you absolutely can’t get to other end.

I learned this from Old4hats
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Yes, in Grogg knot app, Brummel McDonald. You can make a splice without access to other end. I’ve never done that Brummel McDonald.
    You can drag whole loop through second splice and splice just like you did first splice——it will drag through.
    The only reason for doing Brummel McDonald is if you absolutely can’t get to other end.

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that version before, but it won't work for my application, unfortunately.

There's no way I could get my webbing loops through the Amsteel towards the end (:48) of the knot.
    https://youtu.be/A0wEnlDF9Yc&showsearch=0">https://youtu.be/A0wEnlDF9Yc&showsearch=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Any other options out there? I think the answer is "no" and I'll have to stick with the lock stitch.

An outside the box option could be to sew your webbing loops after you pass them through the amsteel. Not ideal and it's probably easier to lock stich than bar tack, but something to consider.

As an aside, even with nothing in the loop I really dislike the one end brummel. But that might be a practice thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That is actually what I'll do once/if I go into production, but for now I'll have to stick to the lock stitch it seems.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Maybe make both end loops in amsteel with locked brummel and attach to webbing loop with larkshead
    Or make Brummel McDonald if, you dare. I’m thinking you can make one with a little practice with short scraps of amsteel that you have extra.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisscy View Post
    An outside the box option could be to sew your webbing loops after you pass them through the amsteel. Not ideal and it's probably easier to lock stich than bar tack, but something to consider.

As an aside, even with nothing in the loop I really dislike the one end brummel. But that might be a practice thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by g2outdoors View Post
    That is actually what I'll do once/if I go into production, but for now I'll have to stick to the lock stitch it seems.

You can do the splice shared by Phantom Grappler. But you have to make the loop you form large enough to turn the full piece back through.
    It's doable when working with splicing to webbing (like whoopies to huggers) but not so much with larger pieces or some sort of continuous/single line suspension.

At the end of the day it's not worth it and easier to just do the lock stitch most of the time.

Can we assume this is for a bridge of some sort?

If you're looking to do the single dogbone method discussed in other places for a bridge... You'll want to do your splicing first for sure.

There are other reasons related to constructability of the product as a whole that make this choice ideal as well.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah it's for a bridge of sorts.

I had already Googled this ad nauseum and knew the answer. But I thought there could be an outside chance someone here might know of some sorcery to solve my problem.

Lock stitch it is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    I use the single end McDonald brummel 95% of the time for loops on every type of cordage I splice. It's faster for me, super easy to get the loop and bury size perfect, and yes, like most things it just requires a little practice. I don't do it exactly like the Grog site (more like L-36 instructions), maybe I'll have to post a video showing some tips & tricks to it.

For the webbing issue you've brought up, I agree that sewing the webbing loop after is ideal. Are the webbing loops connected (like a tree hugger?) or separate? I'm pretty sure if they're separate it can be done with the McDonald splice provided the webbing isn't super stout. If they're connected a la tree hugger or single line then it wouldn't work since the entirety of the webbing would also have to pass through it, and the end of that is already connected to the other loop on the same length of Amsteel.
    Last edited by mrcheviot; 02-26-2018 at 12:46.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post

Brunnel McDonald.. that is one cool splice. Could have used that a bunch of times. Thanks for posting it..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast