Images

Warm when wet, again?

I have been looking around for some new gear to maybe test out, and I stumbled onto this, sorry if it has already been discussed, I don't get on here as often as I once did. But some of you may remember that in years past, I had a thread where I put some of my synthetic (Polargurd) clothing to the test a couple of different times, wanting to test 2 things: how did the insulation do when wet, after I soaked it- and also would the WPB Pertex Endurance shell really breath and allow it to dry out? So I poured some water onto the inner shell in my sink, squeezed it out and went for a 30 minute fast hike at about freezing and with some rain(on one of the tests anyway). I felt that I had great results, with most of the jacket not only keeping me warm on the hike, but being bone dry by the time I got home(as opposed to my jeans which remained wet for hours). I also had a thread called Wet Wiggy's where some guy soaked a Wiggy's bag and slept in it. He did fine, but the temps were quite a bit warmer than the bags rating(though still plenty cold), so it might not have been the most conclusive test.

But now there is this! And it is insane! He is just torture testing one of his sleeping bags(they also make quilts and pods for hammocks), a 20F bag tested in the low 30s. But it is crazy! He so totally soaks this bag, far more than I did my jacket! I thought the results were extremely interesting! He also mentioned plans to test their treated down gear, I'm going to go see if I can find that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS7MJd9JWF8

Images
    Nice, awesome test
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Pine Barrens Leather

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very cool test. Nice that the bag not only kept you warm but dried out like that

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    impressive reminder of the advantages of synthetic insulation when wet. Too be fair he should have had a buddy next to him in a down bag.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    impressive reminder of the advantages of synthetic insulation when wet. Too be fair he should have had a buddy next to him in a down bag.
    HA! Well, I have put some of my synthetic clothing to the test over the years with good results but I never went to the extreme soaking that he did! Well, unless you count an ice cold river crossing in the Wind Rivers where I was just too lazy to take my fleece pants off yet again(we had a lot of river/creek crossings it seemed). So I just left them on for the upper thigh deep wade. Probably after 30 minutes of hiking(sunny day, not really cold except at night) and they were dry! I think most of it just drained out via gravity. Actually, those were called Early Winters(brand) Bunting. But I wil have to say I have never yet put any of my down to such a test. But I have been considering it with some of my newer treated down.

Not a real test, but I had a soaked syn bag in Yosemite, on a hike, that I was cozy all night. I do not recall if it dried during the night, that was in the late seventies.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    A couple of friends and I hopped freights and hitched out to the coast one spring break back around '72. Ended up at Short Sands, OR campground just in time for a spring gale that made the front page of a OR newspaper. During the night the he wind trashed our tarps we had set up for shelter and we spent most the night in puddles of water in down bags huddled together for a little warmth. Most of the folks at the campground suffered a similar fate. Luckily we didn't get nailed by one of the tree limbs that gravity caught up with. In the morning we wrung out those sleeping bags.

Amazingly, when we caught a freight out of Pasco back over the mountains one of the train engineers saw us eyeing the train. He said he had kids our age and let us hop into one of the pusher engines to stay warm.

For some reason that experience is indelibly etched in my memory.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    A couple of friends and I hopped freights and hitched out to the coast one spring break back around '72. Ended up at Short Sands, OR campground just in time for a spring gale that made the front page of a OR newspaper. During the night the he wind trashed our tarps we had set up for shelter and we spent most the night in puddles of water in down bags huddled together for a little warmth. Most of the folks at the campground suffered a similar fate. Luckily we didn't get nailed by one of the tree limbs that gravity caught up with. In the morning we wrung out those sleeping bags.

Amazingly, when we caught a freight out of Pasco back over the mountains one of the train engineers saw us eyeing the train. He said he had kids our age and let us hop into one of the pusher engines to stay warm.

For some reason that experience is indelibly etched in my memory.
    It's my guess you were not very warm in those wet bags, and they took a while to dry? I take it you think you might have done a bit better if the bags had been synthetic? I don't want to be making any crazy assumptions!

But seriously, I do wonder how much better treated down would have done you. A good bit, I suspect. I have some treted down now, I should put it to the test. I saw one test comparing, can't remember where or hen, I might have started a thread about it. Seems to me like the treated down dried faster than the synthetic, but for some reason the synthetic was still warmer when wet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    Not a real test, but I had a soaked syn bag in Yosemite, on a hike, that I was cozy all night. I do not recall if it dried during the night, that was in the late seventies.
    Sounds like a test to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Sounds like a test to me.
    Yeah, I guess it does, and I passed.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

• + New Posts