Multiple
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo

Lightbulb Center pole and end pole

Would it be overkill to use the center pole and end poles on the WD12 at the same time? Would it be feasible?

I got the mod for both and I have both poles. I haven't quite figured out the advantages or disadvantages for using center and/or end poles. Now I'm trying to figure out which of the two I'd like better... then it hit me... maybe use both? I haven't tried using both at the same time, but I wanted to get opinions first.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you aren't backpacking then I'd use all of them and experiment.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 & WD13
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sure can.

I have all and tried it for my WD13 XL. I doubt I will use all at same time, unless I want the full cabin feel, which will be good for bad weather when trapped under tarp for extended periods.
    I think I could get all my 10 grandkids under it if I wanted to. HA

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoUSMC View Post
    Would it be overkill to use the center pole and end poles on the WD12 at the same time? Would it be feasible? I got the mod for both and I have both poles. I haven't quite figured out the advantages or disadvantages for using center and/or end poles. Now I'm trying to figure out which of the two I'd like better... then it hit me... maybe use both? I haven't tried using both at the same time, but I wanted to get opinions first.
    Yes, it is overkill, IMHO. Technically, using all three poles simultaneously is feasible, but it would only really be practical under gale-force wind conditions, massive wet snow loads, or genuine blizzards with drifting -- or if your camp were left unattended at the mercy of Mother Nature during a heavy snowfall with no one to manage the extreme accumulations. Who really wants to carry over a pound of poles anyway, if it's not really necessary?

Having a tarp modified to accept both double and single (center) internal poles is cool, because it gives versatility to your weather protection system. Usually, a single center pole requires a priori modification at the ridge line and ground edge midpoints, but it provides a very nice middle ground, putting the space right where it's most noticeable in a tarp around a gathered-end hammock and creating a strong, round profile that is effective against wind, rain, and snow with about the same added weight as double external poles and half the weight of double internal poles. Double poles provide palatial space under a winter tarp, giving you the same effective rounded profile, greater strength against extreme wind and snow loads, and additional space toward the ends of the tarp for entry and exit when it's battened extreme storm mode, which is especially welcome in winter weather when wearing bulkier clothes. Using all three poles together would provide diminished returns rather than synergy except in the most extreme circumstances. (Maybe in a winter tarp with a very long 13'+ ridge line you might see more benefit from a 3-pole mod.)

However, I have seen tarps with four panel pulls (external pole mod) and a single center internal pole that had similar versatility; the panel pulls could also be deployed with lightweight guy lines (instead of external poles) in conjunction with the one internal pole to provide a little extra space and stability without the weight penalty. I haven't tried this myself, but from all accounts it seems to be nice to have options.

HTH...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-28-2018 at 08:48.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Multiple
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo

Center pole and end pole

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Yes, it is overkill, IMHO. Technically, using all three poles simultaneously is feasible, but it would only really be practical under gale-force wind conditions, massive wet snow loads, or genuine blizzards with drifting -- or if your camp were left unattended at the mercy of Mother Nature during a heavy snowfall with no one to manage the extreme accumulations. Who really wants to carry over a pound of poles anyway, if it's not really necessary?

Having a tarp modified to accept both double and single (center) internal poles is cool, because it gives versatility to your weather protection system. Usually, a single center pole requires a priori modification at the ridge line and ground edge midpoints, but it provides a very nice middle ground, putting the space right where it's most noticeable in a tarp around a gathered-end hammock and creating a strong, round profile that is effective against wind, rain, and snow with about the same added weight as double external poles and half the weight of double internal poles. Double poles provide palatial space under a winter tarp, giving you the same effective rounded profile, greater strength against extreme wind and snow loads, and additional space toward the ends of the tarp for entry and exit when it's battened extreme storm mode, which is especially welcome in winter weather when wearing bulkier clothes. Using all three poles together would provide diminished returns rather than synergy except in the most extreme circumstances. (Maybe in a winter tarp with a very long 13'+ ridge line you might see more benefit from a 3-pole mod.)

However, I have seen tarps with four panel pulls (external pole mod) and a single center internal pole that had similar versatility; the panel pulls could also be deployed with lightweight guy lines (instead of external poles) in conjunction with the one internal pole to provide a little extra space and stability without the weight penalty. I haven't tried this myself, but from all accounts it seems to be nice to have options.

HTH...
    That was a very comprehensive reply, and I greatly appreciate it.

I actually got all the mods on the tarp because I wasn’t sure what I needed, and it was great to have options if and when my environment changed.

Since I live in central FL, it’s unlikely I’ll see snow, but eventually I will go winter camping one day.

You have given me something to think about.

I also appreciate everyone else chiming in their .02¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ChinoUSMC; 02-28-2018 at 09:52.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 & WD13
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    "I also appreciate everyone else chiming in their .02¢ "

No Problem.
    That is all I can afford after buying some new equipment preparing for the upcoming hiking season.

Hammock
    Multiple
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo
    One more question... it would seem the center pole would be beneficial for summertime use, and the end pole for wintertime use.

I’m guessing that since the center pole is adding more tension to the center of the tarp, I should stake down the center along with the corners of the tarp, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoUSMC View Post
    Would it be overkill to use the center pole and end poles on the WD12 at the same time? Would it be feasible?

I got the mod for both and I have both poles. I haven't quite figured out the advantages or disadvantages for using center and/or end poles. Now I'm trying to figure out which of the two I'd like better... then it hit me... maybe use both? I haven't tried using both at the same time, but I wanted to get opinions first.
    I like the end pole mods year round, regardless of weather conditions for the ability to go from porch mode to hunker down mode in seconds using Dutch Fleaz for the 4 corners. Porch mode w/ the center only... isn't as convenient or as spacious (IMO)... Your mileage may vary.

Haven't seen a case were I'd wished I had the added support to run all 3 poles.... nor a case where I wished I had the center over the end mod.

22041934_1851432298204400_4823139934738033084_o.jpg22042247_1851431354871161_2288528450794259956_o.jpg21768827_1851430348204595_3100633182083009700_o.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    I like the end pole mods year round, regardless of weather conditions for the ability to go from porch mode to hunker down mode in seconds using Dutch Fleaz for the 4 corners. Porch mode w/ the center only... isn't as convenient or as spacious (IMO)... Your mileage may vary.

Haven't seen a case were I'd wished I had the added support to run all 3 poles.... nor a case where I wished I had the center over the end mod.

22041934_1851432298204400_4823139934738033084_o.jpg22042247_1851431354871161_2288528450794259956_o.jpg21768827_1851430348204595_3100633182083009700_o.jpg
    I know this is a bit older, but some of us new UGQ winterdream owners (or in my case owner in waiting!), might find this really helpful. I love the pics, and all the great information here, so thanks!
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Images
    I agree, it is a good thread. Surprised it only got 7 replies when it was current.

I have a UGQ WD12 and chose center and end pole mods without the exterior panel pulls. I agree with the majority opinion in the thread that the end poles are generally superior in functionality, but thought I'd add one thing regarding the poles themselves.

The two end poles are not simply twice the weight of the single center pole. The end poles are longer, and I think total weight is almost 2.5x the weight of the single pole kit. Not a huge difference, I suppose, but they do also take up a little over twice as much volume as the single pole. It stands to reason that for some folks, the single center pole would be a better choice for backpacking while for others the added functionality of the two end poles would trump the weight/bulk penalty.

The floating porch mode that can deployed in seconds without the use of trekking poles is an amazing feature of the double end poles. It doesn't work nearly as well with the single center pole, unless you add trekking poles to elevate the corners.

Dawn, enjoy the tarp when you get it, and I'm certain you'll fall in love with it. In the meantime, keep in mind savoring the anticipation can actually be a lot of fun!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast